water pump? and outdrive cooling

musicalley

Recruit
I have a 1989 5.7 with a Alpha 1 outdrive. Up till now I had a guy who maintained boat but it has been sitting out of water ov er a year. I want to replace all cooling pumps / impellars. I have scoured on line and keep seeing a sea water pump which in belt driven and round off to one side...I do not have this. It looks like I have a standard water pump as on a truck? I also believe there to be an impellar on out drive? any help would be great. I am also changing all fluids getting ready to put it back in water.
Thanks, Ralph

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: water pump? and outdrive cooling

Greetings and welcome. Seems your fun has just begun and you have much to read and learn about the jobs you are about to tackle. Start here:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

Others will chime in to help, but when you get this reading done, you'll be better prepared to ask the questions and start doing the work you want to do.

You will need to get access to a "good" service manual for your tasks, which you can get to using the above link.

Best of luck! KTB:)

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: water pump? and outdrive cooling

The "re-circulating" pump on the engine does not need to have the impeller replaced

The Alpha drive have the rubber impeller inside the drive. So, you have to take it apart in order to replace it.

Bravo drives use a separate "sea water" pump that runs off the engine.