kicker hookup

licorice

Cadet
I am in the market for a good kicker motor. My question is I have a 120 force outboard hooked into a 30 gallon tank with 1 line.If I buy a kicker motor can I y off the fuel line to run the kicker when necessary Thanks Licorice

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: kicker hookup

As long as the kicker is a 2-stroke like your force and uses a 50:1 mix.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

One thing you might consider at this point is to add a fuel separating filter with two outlets. Mine has a valve for each outlet - so by doing this, you get the "Y" connection (one in, two out), a separate valve for each, and the benefits of the water separating filter (which also eliminates the need for a regular inline filter). Not expensive, simple to install, really a good feature to have with a large tank too.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

One thing you might consider at this point is to add a fuel separating filter with two outlets.

concept appreciated .... I will most certainly look into this type of mod when we add a kicker to our boat

Jim

licorice

Cadet

Very good concept and I will do the same. Thank you very much.

licorice

Cadet

Found a little 6hp merc with the same ratio as the 120. I am going to try that today sure would be convenient to run the motor that way. I am pretty sure I will be back with more questions. tx Licorice

licorice

Cadet

Okay upon investigating under the transom I notice I already have a water separator hooked into the fuel line of the 120 merc. It has 1 port in and 2 ports out the 2 ports are are sealed by allen wrench screws. Is this compatible to hook another fuel line in for the kicker??

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Okay upon investigating under the transom I notice I already have a water separator hooked into the fuel line of the 120 merc. It has 1 port in and 2 ports out the 2 ports are are sealed by allen wrench screws. Is this compatible to hook another fuel line in for the kicker??

Don't quite understand. Are both outlets sealed or just one? If both, how's the fuel getting to the engine? Do either have valves or just the seal?

Can you see a brand and/or model numbe on the unit - the bracket that the cannister screws into?
Can you see a brand and part number on the cannister?
Maybe post a couple of photos if you're unsure.

My guess is that if it has two oulets, you should just go ahead and use both. If there's not valves, if it were me, I'd go ahead and put an inline valve at each outlet, just so you have the option of closing one or both off if you need to.

If you can get the above info, you can probably easily look up info on the filter onlne - basic installation instructions which will tell you if there's any issues regarding unplugging the outlet and using it, and which cannister it takes so you make sure you're using the right one. Will also tell you the flow rate - which in turn will tell you if it's adequate for your engine(s). The flow rate needs to exceed the maximum usage of both your engines so that it never causes a fuel restriction. But that shouldn't be hard since most water sep filters have huge potential flow rates.

licorice

Cadet

Okay took my wife's makeup mirror and a flashlight and found the arrow out and removed the fitting. I removed the fuel line from the can and low and behold fit right in. Now I have 2 fuel lines only problem was the water separator had a lot of debris and rust was forming on the top so I purchased a new one. Is filling the water separator adequate to re prime the fuel lines or must I go to further extremes to get them primed Thanks Jerry.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

First , the fuel filter should be changed out to new atleast once every year, and filled almost full with new fuel before installing makes it easier to prime. As for the flow of the fuel thru the seperator its self a call to the manufacture should getyou the correct answer as to the compatably of fitting two lines to the unit. The filters should only flow one way. The way that that the seperators are cast will determin if both of the outlets are realy filtered fuel or not. I myself would not take a chance of one of the outlets being filtered fuel and the other one not. I would fit it up so only one outlet is used and T or Y the fuel lines after the primer bulb with shutoffs in each. That way you are sure both motors are getting filtered fuel and the connections for the motor not in use cannot cause a air leak to the running motor.JMO
Oldman570