Adhesive glue type for bellows?

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi boaters hope the more experienced can give me a few pointers. ok well I'm about to replace my bellows. I cleaned surfaces good already. I have a all purpose adhesive spray bottle that I bought at auto zone. I was wondering if this one will work for bellows. I heard some people don't even bother using them. what you guys think. bondo or don what you guys think.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Adhesive glue type for bellows?

Bond-o and Don may not be up yet . . . but I would venture to say that they will advise to use the Mercruiser adhesive: as I would also advise not to mess around with alternate adhesives when it comes to bellows.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What's difference between mercruiser one and all purpose one.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm fairly new to all this but I just finished changing my bellows (along with a whole heap of other stuff), and I too asked te question about whether Mercruiser adhesive is anything special. I was strongly advised to stop trying to be cheap and go buy the genuine stuff, which I did. I can report that I found the Mercruiser adhesive to be a different animal to anything I had come across before; it really does stick to everything like the proverbial brown stuff (which it resembles) to a blanket! It even took several days to get it off my hands after the job. I am satisfied now that I have used the best glue available for the job and done as much as I could to eliminate the chance of a leak.

We don't even know what all purpose adhesive you are referring to? :confused:

What did that one cost? Because that's the only reason I can see one not using the factory adhesive which is sold for around 12 bucks.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't take this as gospel. Only relaying what I was told by two different parts vendors as I was buying parts when working on my own. Was told the 3M 8011 weatherstrip adhesive was an equally good product to use. Suggestion came from two separate unrelated sources.

fishrdan

Admiral

Was told the 3M 8011 weatherstrip adhesive was an equally good product to use.

That's what I use, works fine, huge tube for $10 at most auto parts stores, you'll find many other uses for the left overs...

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had that one already is not that I'm cheap. All I buy is mercruiser products. this cost 6 bucks is a spray all purpose bottle from autozone. Well you guys probably don't have auto zone. Get in the zone auto zone! get it. 😂the clamp does most job but I'll get my mercruiser stuff thanks for the nice info

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I had that one already is not that I'm cheap. All I buy is mercruiser products. this cost 6 bucks is a spray all purpose bottle from autozone. Well you guys probably don't have auto zone. Get in the zone auto zone! get it. ��the clamp does most job but I'll get my mercruiser stuff thanks for the nice info

Wait a minute! I thought this was a boating forum!?!:D

(Quicksilver bellows adhesive....wholesalemarine.com 9.55)