Engine stringer bedding

Pete104

Lieutenant
Got myself involved in replacing the transom wood & now the engine bed in a 1983 Cruisers Inc 22' cuddy.

The transom is under control. The question is in regards to the "engine stringers" or engine bed. Do these have to be fastened with epoxy, PL or peanut butter? Or the like. The original wood was glassed solid to the transom & fully wrapped 24 oz roven the full length of each stringer. 1 layer. Once the wrap was off the stringer came right out. The good 1 came right out, the other we sucked out with the shop vac. There was some residual resin that had drizzled it's way under the wood but nothing else. We can see the red string that was used in the CFM during original lamination. I wouldn't expect to be able to, had they used an epoxy or something.

The engine bed in this particular boat is independent of the actual hull stringers. By about 10" -11".

I've searched & really found nothing about stern drive engine beds. Most everything is fastened to hull stringers or ski boats.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine stringer bedding

I'd recommend bedding the Motor mounts in PB. It's never a good idea to set the wood directly onto the hull. Don't think anyone here on the Forum would advise it.

Pete104

Lieutenant

OK. Is that so they don't slide around?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 for WoG....

multiple reasons....so they dont move around when glassing...so they dont make hardpoint contacts to the hull...

Pete104

Lieutenant

So just trowel a quarter inch on both the hull & the stringer. Then set in place. Lean on it a little and that's it I take it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check the first link in my signature. It has drawings and details.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Thanks WOG.
The stringers are to be a 1/4" off the hull, bedded in PB. Regardless of the width? The engine stringers are like 5 1/2" wide by 33-34". Looking at your signature, the illustration was like 3/4" or something on end. Not exactly what I'm dealing with, so I just want to be clear.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, no matter. Stringers, Bulkheads, Motor Mounts they're all the same and the bedding and glassing technique are the same. This is to avoid Hard Spots in the hull which can cause cracking and checking in the gelcoat and glass.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Each of the stringers are 36" long from the transom. How many dowel rod spacers?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

one on each end is sufficient. PB will cure in about 30 mins then you can remove the dowels and finish squishing the remaining PB and making some fillets.