1989 Evinrude 175xp Fuel Problem

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a fuel problem Im hoping to get some help with. The other day I thought I would start my boat and let it run a bit. Like always, I squeezed my primer bulb to prime. After bulb was hard, I started the motor. It ran for about 1 or 2 mins. then shut down. I tried to restart and it was acting as if it was starved for fuel. So, I checked my primer bulb and it was soft. I squeezed again til hard and she started up again, only for 1 or 2 mins. then shut down. So, when I checked the bulb, it was soft again and while squeezing this time I notice gas leaking around one end of the bulb. So my thinking is its loosing prime due to leak.

I bought a new fuel line and primer bulb, hooked it up and now she is trying to start up but does not. Before at least she would run for a couple of mins and now its like starving more. I even bypassed my water seperator and went straight to the motor and it still dosnt start.

:mad::rolleyes:Any Clues? Im confused!

Thanks, Tim

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 175xp Fuel Problem

It's normal for the hose bulb to get softer once the engine has run. As the engine runs and sucks fuel through the hose, the bulb will get soft, but should not collapse on itself. That's normal. Fuel leaks will cause the engine to starve for fuel. Replace the hose. Sure you have the hose connected properly. The arrow on the hose bulb shows the fuel flow direction.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks. I have checked the fuel bulb direction. I just cant figure what could be happening.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check to make sure the fuel primer is working (the choke). These engines are really hard to start if the fuel primer system is not working. Pull the tiny hose off the top of the top carb, prime the hose bulb, turn the key to "on" and push in on the key. You should see fuel pulsing out of that small hose.