New Motor Needed

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have the opportunity to buy a very nice 19' Chap. Everything is new except the motor. The owner tells me the motor is blown. Its a 5.7 Merc, he doesn't know the HP. Where can I get a used or rebuilt motor? How much do you guys think it will be? What HP is recommended? Anything else I should consider? As always, thanks for your help.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Motor Needed

I have the opportunity to buy a very nice 19' Chap. Everything is new except the motor. The owner tells me the motor is blown. Its a 5.7 Merc, he doesn't know the HP. Where can I get a used or rebuilt motor? How much do you guys think it will be? What HP is recommended? Anything else I should consider? As always, thanks for your help.

Howdy,

A 5.7 is a 5.7 etc.....depending on the year there might be an issue with the flywheel/coupler etc but if you stay with similar year any 350 will work.... You could either get a long-block from one of the marine rebuilders or take the engine to a local machine shop that has a reputation of rebuilding/building marine engines.

If it's carbureted engine expect it to be around 230-260 hp.

You could also get a running 350 (truck) engine from a wrecking yard and as long as you swap all your marine specific "Stuff' and put brass core plugs in it it would probably work well. Many here have done that.... Also, maybe the engine is not "blown" after all and just needs some TLC.

Take pictures!

Cheers,

Rick

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: New Motor Needed

In addition to the above, ^^^, I would add the possibility of buying a new engine from GM. You can pick up a brand new universal 350 for not too much money.