no water circulation after pump replacement

tdfl

Cadet
I have a 1992 Johnson 225hp, which had no water coming out of the pee tube while running on a hose with muffs, even though the impeller had been replaced recently. I put in a new water pump (housing, impeller, etc.) and am still not getting water coming out of the pee hole. I checked all the hosed for obstruction, checked the stats, etc. I even tested it on a hose with muffs with the thermostats removed, but got no water coming out of the thermostat cavities. I'm stumped after twice removing the lower unit and checking the water pump, and still getting no water... Please help!!!!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: no water circulation after pump replacement

is it possible you forgot the drive key which links the impellar to the driveshaft?

tdfl

Cadet

is it possible you forgot the drive key which links the impellar to the driveshaft?

I checked the lower unit twice and the impeller drive key is in place

tdfl

Cadet

I also pumped water into the thermostat openings and the water came out of the lower unit, so there's no obstruction! Still mistified !!!

tdfl

Cadet

Just in case, the model of the engine is J225TXENR.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Keep in mind that a motor that size running on muffs needs to have the hose running full blast. Was the original impeller intact when you replaced it or, was it missing some pieces? It could be there is a blockage in the water jacket which (sometimes) can be forced out with high pressure water (or air).

tdfl

Cadet

Keep in mind that a motor that size running on muffs needs to have the hose running full blast. Was the original impeller intact when you replaced it or, was it missing some pieces? It could be there is a blockage in the water jacket which (sometimes) can be forced out with high pressure water (or air).

I ran the water hose full blast - nothing... Original was impeller was intact. Removed the lower unit again (3rd time) and ran hose full blast up the water pipe until it shot out through the thermostat openings (to remove any possible blockages) and the pee tube, also ran high pressure air to double verify there are no blockages. Triple checked that the impeller was installed correctly and that the axle pin was in place by testing it out of the impeller hosing. reinstalled impeller housing and will now reinstall the lower unit again and retest; will let you know whether it circulates the water now...

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Try it with hose on water inlet pipe first. If the hose backfires off when you start motor you have a combustion leak into the water jacket

tdfl

Cadet

Try it with hose on water inlet pipe first. If the hose backfires off when you start motor you have a combustion leak into the water jacket

Never thought of that!