water leaking

douginmn

Cadet
I have around a 1974 mercruiser inline 165. Last time I was out, I turned the engine off to do a little fishing, opened the engine compartment and heard water trickling in. I turned the steering just a little bit and the water stopped. Would this be the exhaust bellows? or is there something else it could be?
And could someone please tell me which stern drive I have ie. pre-alpha alpha one etc. how do you tell?

Thank you, Doug

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water leaking

Exhaust bellows no, ujoint bellows or shift cable bellows yes.

You really need to find what it is. If ujoint bellows, you stand a chance of doing even more damage.

douginmn

Cadet

okay, thank you Don, now can I ask how to tell which one? can you physically see a crack without removing anything while it's on the trailer? or by raising or turning the lower unit? I do have a repair manual. Hope it's not a difficult fix.

emoney

Commander

If you post up pics of your outdrive someone might be able to tell you which one it is.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have a MC-1 drive, that's all that was used for that engine. You just have to look and find out where "Exactly" the water is coming in from. We can tell you how to fix the problem, but you are the only one that can see where the water is coming in from.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Can you see the bellows by turning outdrive or adjusting trim or is there some dis assembly required? If I may ask?