1984 Evinrude 140 barely moving at WOT!

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I havent been on in a while, but have been reading for a bit. My 140 sometimes when I am running it barely moves at wot. RPMs are not up either. I Noticed that if I hold the key pushed in while it does this it will get up to speed like normal. Also after a minute of holding key pushed in I and let go and it runs fine. When I hit a SNW zone I have to slow down and it all starts over. Any Ideas?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 Evinrude 140 barely moving at WOT!

Sounds like it's time for some carb work.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it does need carb work, do it before you blow the mtr. The cyl's get their lube from the fuel oil mix.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have crb rebuild kits, and I will be diving in this weekend. Thanks! BTW I had a Marine Mechanic tell me that it is probably intake compression. I only described the symptoms to him. I would this that because it happens when I slow down and then start back up that it couldnt be the intake right? At that point the fuel is already in the cyl. Then again how could it be the carbs? It is almost like there is no fuel at all getting to it when it happens. I can throw the throttle all the way down and it doesnt change a thing, I can lower the throttle and it will lower just fine. Idle is fine. If I hold in the key for choke then it will run fine. After a few seconds I can let go and all is well. UGH! Thanks in advance !