Depth Finder Location ?

George Zeck

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All -

I own a Sea Ray 205 Sport (2007). It is giving me goofy readings from the depth finder. It is early Sept (very late in the season) and it reads that my marina is 500+ ft (actually ~ 4 - 5 ft). I must assume it is grime / algae growing over the sensor. Does anyone know where this thing is and what it looks like?

I have a friend swim around and look for some sort of 'hockey puck' and didn't see anything. So rather than swim wildly around I figured to get an idea where it would be mounted and what it looks like so that I can clean off the area.

Also, it I am off on my diagnosis and any anyone has alternative opinions - I'm all ears. It typically registers reasonably correct after a few minutes on plane (which is useless after I am already on deep water of the lake).

My owner's manual was useless and the dealer would suggest I bring it in (don't have truck and big PITA) to do so.

Thanks -

George

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Depth Finder Location ?

It is most likely a shoot thru the hull transducer and is located inside the hull under the engine at the back of the bilge. The transducer is probably bad unless there is a lot of buildup on the outside of the hull. It could also have come loose from the hull.

Bifflefan

Commander

Its probably on the bottom of the transom, one side or the other of the drive, mounted on the outside.
Chances are that it got knocked up and is now shooting towards the rear instead of down. Its just a plastic box (ish) thing screwed to the transom with a wire heading up and into a hole. Make sure the bottom is level to the ground (not tilted up) and it should work fine.
If was a bad transducer you would not get a reading at all.

George Zeck

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all. This gives me a place to start (vs. guessing).

Tx-

George