Hypothetical ? hp restrictions

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
I've never been to any hp restricted lakes(except for all electric reservoir).
Who decides to change a lake to a certain hp,is there a vote or is it just something out of the blue?

Reason I ask is,I imagine alot of people have some fairly big boats and we all know that undersizing an outboard can be dangerous in bad weather conditions.People normally say stay somewehere around 75% of the max hp rating.
Lets say your on a bigger body of water and some weather comes up.You can't keep control of your boat,the wind spins you or water comes over the stern and your boat gets swamped.You all make it back to shore but the boat is lost,plus there is a recovery problem.You figure if you had a bigger outboard you would have had a better chance of riding out the flash storm.(maybe the insurance people think this also)
Who is liable?
I mean,I know there alot of varibles to this question but has anyone ever tried a lawsuit against whoever put the hp restrictions(for recovery/loss)?
Why don't they just use speed control(other then policing)?

I wish i could get the thoughts out of my head and on type easier...
Don't say shouldn't go out in bad weather...if you boated long enough,flash storms happen and weather reports aren't 100%.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hypothetical ? hp restrictions

In addition to EPA requirements for water supply reservoirs I think it is the intent of some restrictions to simply keep big, fast boats and PWCs off of that water so that canoe, kayak, and fishermen are not threatened.

I have fished a lot of restricted ponds and lakes, some allowing no motors of any kind, but I have never been on one that was dangerous.

The idea that one has to have a big, fast boat to be "safe" is counter-intuitive on any restricted lake I have seen.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Seems most all restricted lakes I've seen are smaller waters or are generally shallower waters. How or who sets the restrictions I guess depends on who has control of the waterway.

What I find more interesting is that nearby there is a lake in Wisconsin that has a noise restriction that is patroled with decible meters. I believe it was done to keep the open exhauste jet racers off.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

In addition to EPA requirements for water supply reservoirs I think it is the intent of some restrictions to simply keep big, fast boats and PWCs off of that water so that canoe, kayak, and fishermen are not threatened.

I have fished a lot of restricted ponds and lakes, some allowing no motors of any kind, but I have never been on one that was dangerous.

The idea that one has to have a big, fast boat to be "safe" is counter-intuitive on any restricted lake I have seen.
Every body of water can be dangerous and big boats with little motors,in rough waters is just an accident waiting to happen.
I understand keeping big fast boats off(I don't think I mentioned anything about going fast),I understand resorvoirs,etc,etc.I just don't understand why they don't use speed limits as opposed motor size.
This question came from another question asked recently(18' heavy boat;20hp motor limit) among others.If the only way to my cottage was by boat and it was a bigger body of water,I'd want to be safe.I fully loaded,heavy boat with a small motor is dangerous(in rough conditions).

Another thought...put that 20hp on alittle 12'er and it will go mid 20's,put it on a 18'er maybe 7 mph?
anyways...

Last edited:

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Some of us enjoy fishing without getting rocked every few minutes by someone with more motor than brains. :)

All the restricted lakes I have been to are private or owned by the government. In the former you don't get to fish unless you abide by the rules. You agree to the rules as a condition of membership. With the latter if you want to sue the government go ahead. Speaking as one who has for other reasons I suggest you might as well use your money to light the barbie.