Depth Gauge

herbmmm

Cadet
I just bought a pontoon boat yesterday and it does not have a depth gauge. I would like to get some suggestions as to what brand and model number some of you would suggest I buy. Also are they hard to install or can I do it myself? Finely I do plan on doing some fishing so is there a combination fish finder and depth gauge? The most important feature will be the depth gauge!

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Depth Gauge

There are many choices in fish finders. All will show depth. One thing to consider is where you will be boating and if the unit is powerful enough to show the depth of the lake or body of water. Fish finding is a learned art with these units. Some are in color some are in B/W. On this boat I have a Lowance unit. But have had Hummingbord units before. I like the Lowance better.
These are not hard to install. You need to mount the unit, hook it up to power and ground and mount what is called a transducer to the back of the boat so it is under water at all times and parallel to the water. On a toon there is usually a bracket welded to the back of one of the logs. If not have one installed by a competent welder. This is a good mounting place. DO NOT mount directly to a log. Run the wires back to the unit and plug it in. That's about it. Secure the wires so they don't get to much pressure while underway.
Some units will come with speed, temp, and other options this is up to you. As for brand there are many and most are decent. Good luck with the new boat. Stay safe.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a pontoon boat yesterday and it does not have a depth gauge. I would like to get some suggestions as to what brand and model number some of you would suggest I buy. Also are they hard to install or can I do it myself? Finely I do plan on doing some fishing so is there a combination fish finder and depth gauge? The most important feature will be the depth gauge!

I would strongly suggest that you go to a good sporting store and try out a fish finder that also has a combo gps on it. A lot of these units are not easy to use unless you are a computer geek.
You will also want to get the largest screen that you can afford as the small screens are hard to read.
On our last boat we bought a re-conditioned Garmin and it was half price and came with a new warranty and we never had a problem with it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just remember that at speed, the depth indication is what happened -- not what's going to happen. If you don't know the waters you boat in you are advised to get a map so you have an idea of where the channels are, obstructions, old road beds, submerged dams, wing dams, etc. If you are cruising at any speed, when the locator says the water is one foot deep you have already run aground or run over whatever it was that caused the indication.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Just remember that at speed, the depth indication is what happened -- not what's going to happen. If you don't know the waters you boat in you are advised to get a map so you have an idea of where the channels are, obstructions, old road beds, submerged dams, wing dams, etc. If you are cruising at any speed, when the locator says the water is one foot deep you have already run aground or run over whatever it was that caused the indication.

Most excellant point!

herbmmm

Cadet

Thats true but what I want is something that tells me the bottom is angling up so I can slow down in time! I don't think the bottom is going to go from 75 ft to 3 ft in 10 ft. Now I realize a submerged tree or hugh bolder will be all of a sudden and I'll have to live with that!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Thats true but what I want is something that tells me the bottom is angling up so I can slow down in time! I don't think the bottom is going to go from 75 ft to 3 ft in 10 ft. Now I realize a submerged tree or hugh bolder will be all of a sudden and I'll have to live with that!

Sounds like you need to get a simple unit & learn to use it- then you can upgrade.
I'm a big Lowrance fan myself -

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

yes it often can change that fast.
Yes it can and in places where you never expect it. It is always best to get to know the waters. Charts, talking to fellow boaters at a boat launch, any way you can get the basics of "hey don't ever go by there its shallow and full of rocks" kind tips.A coast guard class that is run well is a good starting point. Be on alert at all times and don't rely on a machine to tell you the depth for the purpose of not going aground. With a pontoon you won't need allot of water but I have gone aground in the Gulf more than a half mile out from shore. You never know till you know the waters. And that takes years. Be careful and you will be fine.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Dinged up a perfectly good prop thinking that same way. Clippin' along in 40' of water... in a BLINK it went to 2... and I couldn't trim it up fast enough. Just yesterday, witnessed a guy running the same area, I tried to flag him down, but didn't get to him in time... It's a sick feeling sitting there, just knowing what's about to happen...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How very wrong that assumption is. I take it you don't know what a wing dam is, a submerged road bed, or similar obstruction for that matter. I boat on one body of water where the first time on it had the bejeepers scared out of me. Running at about 30 MPH in 40 feet of water the locator suddenly when to 6 feet in about two boat lengths. Chopped the throttle and in about the same span went back to 25 feet. That was a land bridge between mainland and an island that was now submerged after a dam raised the lake level which covered that land. You can indeed navigate channels and shorelines with a locator and they work well. But they cannot "predict" what you are about to hit. The sonar shoots down -- not forward.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

I bought the Garmin Echo 500c at the beginning of summer and it has performed admirably every time I use it. Bright color display (adjustable), holds data when moving fast, shows fish really well, displays water temp. Very happy indeed.

I would be very worried if I went out without a depth finder. I will always have one and will use it every time I'm out.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I'd recommend a Humminbird 500 series GREY SCALE gps combo, you can find them for under 300$ The Grey scale screen is ALOT bigger than 400-500$ color units. Mines 5 years old now and I love it, easy to use and it has a "big numbers" screen than puts your MPH, DEPTH and HEADING in huge numbers on the screen when yourr cruising.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Humminbird 381 and love mine also. B/W display GPS combo w/ 5" screen. I saw them at Cabelas this year for around $250
0512d.jpg
I used to be a big fan of Lowrance products, but Humminbird has them beat hands down now.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

....Muskiemike...did you mean the 581? If so, that's a nice unit.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Humminbird 385Ci - depth gauge, fish finder, AND GPS. I LOVE it.