$100 boat. Is it worth it?

petergriffin1

Recruit
Ok,

So Im new to this boat thing. But I know a guy who bought a boat a while back as a project. He's since decided not to go through with it and wants to sell it to me. He said he would sell the boat and trailer to me for $100. Both titles are clear, however am I having trouble with finding out information about the boat itself. Here is what I know.

1966 Lone Star 19' (unknown model) maybe a Westport? (if any one knows what model it is please tell me) It has a fiberglass hull.

The hull seems to be in good shape, however could use some fiberglass work (to the best of knowledge)

My concern is getting it home only to realize it's worthless. I cannot find any information on this particular boat online. Are Lone Star's a good boat? I know Crysler bought the company around that time as far as I can tell. I have attached a photograph of it. Please help any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

100_1536.jpg

Re: $100 boat. Is it worth it?

nothing that $2000 min and 3-12 months for the average guy couldnt fix and thats not including the power plant or tires for the trailer

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just about any boat is repairable and worth saving if you like the style and purpose. It looks like you have your work cut out for you with this one but it's probably dooable barring any severe hull damage that can't be seen in the picture.

The trailer should be sand blasted and then evaluated before you go hauling it out in the interstate. It's work but if you don't mind work then no problem.

Be prepared to invest a lot more in it than you anticipate. Budgets are cool but most of us discard them after a while and just go for it. Spending money on boats is kind of like thumping yourself in the forhead. The first time you do it you feel the pain but after about a hundred thousand times it just seems normal.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It is pretty cool rehabbing a boat and making it yours if you have the time money and talent to do it.

As others have said this could turn into a 2K 8 month project so you will never get even close to what you have in it back ever, but you could end up with a really nice boat that you will get years of use out of, think long and hard though, once you start you are in and you either finish or throw your money away.

emoney

Commander

This is one of those situations that only you can decide "is it worth it". We all know that today, $100 isn't worth as much so if you're really trying to determine if there's $100.00 of "stuff" in that picture, well then, the answer is sure. But it's got work involved to get to it.

Now, if you're saying, "Is the "BOAT" worth it", well right now it's worth nothing since it probably can]6 serve it's originalldesigned-for, purpose; pleasure boating. However, what are your intentions? Are you thinking you'd like to restore it and if so, what type budget do you have to do so? Just one picture won't reveal any hidden gems, so-to-speak, so I'm back to my original thought; you're the only one in this situation that can answer your own question. Good luck and welcome to iboats.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

you're the only one in this situation that can answer your own question.

agree .... for me it would be worthless because I know that I would never see the project through to the end .... one of my brothers-in-law could/would take that boat and happily put the time/effort/money into its restoration that would result in a boat which would provide many years of service .... if you already have the knowledge/skills necessary to undertake such a project, you pretty well know which side of the line you'd be .... if you don't already have the knowledge/skills, it would most certainly be a learning experience

Jim

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Guessing your in fresh water???
Profile,location?

First ask yourself?? Do I have a place for about a year or two to work on this boat??
Working under a tree just NEVER seems to work out.
Then the necessary skills to do fiberglass work?
Motor work??
Then the $$$$$$ question.
It has no motor.Anywhere from $100 UP!!!
Then trailer??

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see in the picture that there is a 1000.00 dollar price on the windshield. If your friend paid that for this boat and is wanting to sell it for 100.00 then there is something majorly wrong with it. You could end up pouring a ton of money and time into this to get it in the water. Or you could buy it and scrap the boat and use that money to restore the trailer and sell it. Have fun with it and happy boating.

Brewman61

Ensign

$100 is a bargain to the seller if it keeps him from having to pay to dispose of the boat.
Look at boats for sale in your area in the $2K or $4K range, that is what it may take to get this boat on the water.
See what you can buy in this price range and compare to what you have and how much work you have ahead of you.
Maybe it'll pan out, maybe you can get a nice water ready boat for the same ultimate cost, and you won't have all that work.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

There is no resale value in this boat so whatever you invest on repairs is all on you. I believe for a few hundred dallors more you could find a much better platform to begin with. Myself, I would pass on it.

What I have right now I found for $400.00 with the trailer. It was in disrepair, lacking an engine but was structually sound. It is also a popular sought after hull and I can still recover most if not all of my investment.

tallcanadian

Captain

It's not a 100 dollar boat. Yes, you may pay only 100 for it but it's gonna cost you a lot more as stated above. But then you will have a great boat that will last a lifetime.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

$100 is a bargain to the seller if it keeps him from having to pay to dispose of the boat.
Look at boats for sale in your area in the $2K or $4K range, that is what it may take to get this boat on the water.
See what you can buy in this price range and compare to what you have and how much work you have ahead of you.
Maybe it'll pan out, maybe you can get a nice water ready boat for the same ultimate cost, and you won't have all that work.

a scrapper would make more than 100 in scrap for the trailer to the op the trailer alone is worth more than 100 but your going to pay alot to make that boat right