Galvanic corrosion question(s);

emoney

Commander
So, one of us (namely, me) needs to replace a couple of his bow rail fittings. They are all factory, read galvanized here, and are suffering from some mighty galvanic corrosion. They used stainless screws to secure the rail to the fitting and of course, they are pretty much stuck in place. So, do I just get a diamond cutting wheel for my Dremel and cut the screw heads off flush to the rail or will something like PB blaster get them out? The new fittings use allen screws and I suppose cutting flush will work....at least I think it will.

It kinda stinks that they used galvanized to begin with because I'm pretty much left with going back that route. Othewise, the holes on the plate of the fitting don't line up with the Stainless Steel versions. And, I don't need to be adding any more holes. Kinda crappy when you think about we're only talking a couple of bucks difference, if that, for the manufacturer. Oh well, it is what it is, right?

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Galvanic corrosion question(s);

So, one of us (namely, me) needs to replace a couple of his bow rail fittings. They are all factory, read galvanized here, and are suffering from some mighty galvanic corrosion. They used stainless screws to secure the rail to the fitting and of course, they are pretty much stuck in place. So, do I just get a diamond cutting wheel for my Dremel and cut the screw heads off flush to the rail or will something like PB blaster get them out? The new fittings use allen screws and I suppose cutting flush will work....at least I think it will.

It kinda stinks that they used galvanized to begin with because I'm pretty much left with going back that route. Othewise, the holes on the plate of the fitting don't line up with the Stainless Steel versions. And, I don't need to be adding any more holes. Kinda crappy when you think about we're only talking a couple of bucks difference, if that, for the manufacturer. Oh well, it is what it is, right?

I think with galvanized you will need hot dipped zinc fasteners to stop corrosion. Never heard of galvanized bow rails.If you can't get the stainless out it's because it is softer metal then other stuff. I would drill the just the heads off and get a set of vice grips on the studs and turn them out. They are probably in with 3M5200 so they don't leak.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I've never, ever seen galvanized bow rail fittings,.... They're more likely Die-cast, chrome plated zink...

Whenever I run across 'em, I yank 'em, 'n go back with the SSteel versions...

Ned L

Commander

What Bond-O said. If they are deeply pitted and with white-ish colored power in the pitting then they are plated zinc. Galvanized would be steel under the (dull colored) plating and would rust (red - brown) where the plating is gone.