getting partially seized 351 up and running?

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice
i have made some great strides in getting my 76 searay srv20 with a ford 351 v8 233hp running. when i got the boat it had no power at the key, i have gotten the electronics working. today i took a breaker bar and unjammed the engine so that it may start up. it was partially seized. i am now going to go squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes to try to lube it up. what would some of you guys recommend i do in addition to that? the engine rotates maybe a quarter turn when the key is turned but no more. i think i have 6 volts coming out of the starter solenoid instead of 12. would 6volts even allow for a half a$$ed turning over of the engine? maybe that is why it isnt turning over completely. thanks in advance for any help<br />corey

Bondo

Staff member
Re: getting partially seized 351 up and running?

Have you removed the Drive,.. To make Sure it's the Engine,.??...<br /><br />You Need a Full 12 Volts to make Anything Happen.......

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice

i have 12 volts entering the solenoid but then i measure 3-6 volts leaving the solenoid to the starter and at the starter itself. would such a low voltage even allow the engine to turn over for a second or so? i think i might need a new solenoid so that the full 12 volts gets to the starter motor and that that is the reason why the engine is so hesitant to turn over. what do you think?

JasonB

Lieutenant

Another Ford solenoid bites the dust. As I've said before, I bleed Ford blue, but in the auto world, I've replaced many of those solenoids. I'm just waiting for the one in the boat to go.... <br /><br />I would suggest replacing the Solenoid and seeing if that helps. Should be an inexpensice part, likely under $20. <br /><br />As Bondo said, you need a full 12v and it sounds like you have solenoid issues. I don't think what you have is enough to engage the starter. It is possible to use a screwdriver to jump the posts on the solenoid to somewhat bypass it to test the starter, and I've done it a few times, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you're aware of the possible consequences and sparks!

D

DJ

Why are you trying to start and engine that was seized? The damage inside is not going to fix itself.

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice

im not sure if it was totally seized, i thought that it was seized because it wasnt turning over at all. but now that i have seen that the starter is only getting like 6 volts it is possible that the starter isnt getting enough power to turn it over. i used the breaker bar to try to free the engine before i saw the readings at the starter. if an engine was partially seized does it need to be rebuilt? would it really be that damaged?

Bondo

Staff member

would it really be that damaged?<br />
It's More than Likely that the Rings were Rusted to the Cylinders,.......<br />That Pits the Cylinders,+ Breaks the Rings......<br /><br />IF you manage to get it Started,...... I'm Guessing it'll be a Short Lived motor,+ Will need a Rebuild,..... Probably Soon......<br /><br />Have you Pulled the Drive, to determine whether it's the Drive,... Or the Motor,.??....<br /><br />You SHOULD be able to turn the motor Over,+ Over with the Breaker Bar,+ Socket......<br />If it Stops before it's gone All the Way Around,.......<br />You're Probably Beating a Dead Horse........

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice

hey bondo thanks for helping out. at first the engine was a little tough to turn over but now it turns over and over by hand. it is just not doing so when i try to start it. i am hoping the rings are not too damaged but i will have to figure out how to do a compression test so i can test them. why do you think though that the engine cant turn over more than a quarter turn or so with the key? is it that the starter is not getting enough power to do the job?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....... You NEED 12 Volts,+ Full Ampereage to Turn the Motor with the Starter........

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice

k thanks i am going to get that part of the equation satisfied and then will worry about the engine and whether to rebuild or not.