new engine taking in water

green76

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 93 Baja islander...I recently had local Marina install new engine...4.3 vortec. While out on water the other day we threw anchor and began to exit boat to Wade to beach when something made me check engine. When I opened cover bilge had a decent amount of water in it which made me inspect further to find water gushing into bilge from a hole in a metal exhaust pipe behing engine next to transom. Took boat out of water immediately but getting it to ramp boat was stalling knocking and just running bad. The hole looks jagged and is not where a hose should be. I've found diagrams in text and it says this metal tube is just called an exhaust pipe. I did pull plugs and no sign of water in cylinders also oil is clean...how can I fix this metal exhaust tube (on port side) and did this incident hurt my brand new engine?? Help anyone??

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: new engine taking in water

Welcome aboard! If you are talking about the "Y Pipe" part of the exhaust, then that is a part that would simply need to be replaced not patched. You would have to pull the engine to do so. I would want to know what caused the hole. Corrosion?

green76

Seaman Apprentice

I had local Marina install the brand new engine a month ago for $4500 should those pipes have been replaced?? Could running boat with the hole in that y pipe hurt engine?? Cuz it was running badly

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a picture of the pipe and hole, just so everyone is talking about the same thing. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=468676

If it's the exhaust Y, it may be corroded through, but not something that would be replaced with a new engine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Whether or not it should have been replaced depends upon what you asked them to do. Typically it would not be replaced. The only way it would have caused a problem is if the engine ingested some water as a result - or if it was deep enough that it splashed on the electronics and ignition components. Is this salt water or fresh?

Bottom line - if it were me, I would talk to the shop that did the work and see what they have to say. Perhaps they will do something for you.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Can't attatch pic..I'm on my phone that may be why...fresh water...the hole is at bottom of y pipe next to drive shaft where y pipes hooks to the next object that idk the name of...LOL ..but ENGINE HAS TO BE PULLED????

green76

Seaman Apprentice
water in cylinders??

water in cylinders??

How can I be sure that no water has gotten into cylinders or anywhere else it isn't supposed to be because of an exhaust leak.

Don S

Yes, the engine has to be pulled. No way to get the Y pipe off with the engine in the way.

Don S

Re: water in cylinders??

Remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over, if no water comes out, you're good.
Also check the engine oil. Your exhaust leak is the Y pipe and will not let water into the engine.

Don S

Took boat out of water immediately but getting it to ramp boat was stalling knocking and just running bad.

With that exhaust leak, you may have gotten moisture/condensation in the cap, or water on the spark plugs near the hole in the pipe.

With the boat out of the water,cover the hole with something (stick a rag in it) and start the engine on muffs after checking the cap for moisture and see if things have dried out and it now runs better.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for advice!!! I pulled plugs and turned over engine...no water..I only pulled one plug from each side though ..

Don S

Since this is the same problem as the original post, I merged them together.

You need to pull all the plugs if you are looking for water, not just two. You still need to get it running as I mentioned above.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Hard to get to all the plugs w tools I have available ..hole in y pipe...if water can't get into cylinders from hole in y pipe do I need to pull all plugs to check for water? Also how worried should I be that my exhaust system may have internal leaks that can get water into engine?? Since was weak enough to break y pipe.

Don S

You can remove the exhaust elbows and inspect the gasket surfaces of the manifold and elbows to see if they are corroded away. Do you boat in salt water, or has the boat been used in salt water?

I was suggesting running the engine because you mentioned it started running rough. Starting it would just verify if it was a water in the engine, or a moisture problem from hot water and exhaust from the hole in the Y pipe filling the engine compartment with moisture.
Don't forget, no one here can see what you see. We can only guess at what may have happened.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I'm new at this..just had specific question and looking for more opinions ...can a crack/hole in lower y exhaust pipe get water in cylinders or anywhere else it shouldn't be?? Water did not flood bilge.

Don S

No, water can't get in the engine from the hole in the Y pipe.

If you have questions on this issue, just ask them on this thread.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

If I have a question related to my thread ask it in a "reply to thread" like I'm doing now??