6hp firing problem

garful

Recruit
Have a 6hp evinrude, i am gettint fire thru spark plug wire, but none when hooked to spark plug and grounded. have tried different plugs-no fire. Is fire to weak?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6hp firing problem

Have a 6hp evinrude, i am gettint fire thru spark plug wire, but none when hooked to spark plug and grounded. have tried different plugs-no fire. Is fire to weak?

Depending on what year you have (I need a model number), the spark gap on a spark tester would be either 1/4" (magneto) or 7/16" (Powerpack). With the plugs removed, the spark must jump one of those gaps with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! What do you have?

NOTE that testing spark by using the spark plugs is a waste of time.

garful

Recruit

model # 6402 c used my neighbor as a human spark tester and swears it produced a very strong charge. thank you for the quick response.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

model # 6402 c used my neighbor as a human spark tester and swears it produced a very strong charge. thank you for the quick response.

Unless your neighbor has wired contacts on his center upper and lower teeth, and can hold them steadily apart at the proper gap setting, his efforts and the test in general are void.

Your engine is a 1974 6hp Evinrude with a magneto system. Check the spark using a 1/4" gap setting.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

garful

Recruit

Hey Joe how did you know my neighbor had his dentures wired? lol I think the motor is acutally a 1974 6hp. I believe my next will be to check the condensers. I have no history of the motor, found it in a garage locked up. Free up the cylinder, the motor seems to have been used very little everything looks brand new. Will be worth the time, ,and head scrathing when done. Thanks for your help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yes, correct, a 1974 model. Sorry about that typo (damn fingernail!). The gap stting (1/4") is correct though... testing the spark using that gap is a must.