weird screeching noise 3000 RPM and above MERC 470

lselmes

Seaman Apprentice
I have a smooth running 1981 Mercruiser 470 that runs cool and has good pressure on all cylinders as well as oil. The last 2 trips out I've had a strange intermittent screeching sound coming from the motor when I hit 3000 rpm and above. Alternator belt looks good and I haven't confirmed the alt bearing yet. I did just have a new Mallory E-Spark electronic ignition installed and the mechanic had to mess around with the distributor to install a mounting plate. Do distributors make a noise if not installed properly? My voltage is steady with no fluctuations. And as I said the motor performs beautifully except for this awful new noise. Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: weird screeching noise 3000 RPM and above MERC 470

The power steering pump can make a similar noise.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Run it briefly without the front belt and see if the squeal goes away. Also feel the bearings on the water pump to see if it turns smoothly. Do you have the alternator conversion for this engine?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Run it briefly without the front belt and see if the squeal goes away. Also feel the bearings on the water pump to see if it turns smoothly. Do you have the alternator conversion for this engine?

That is a good idea, however there are no bearings in the waterpump, and you may run it as long as you like without the power steering/alternator (if you have one) belt on, because the engine waterpump impeller is bolted to and directly driven by the camshaft.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That is a good idea, however there are no bearings in the waterpump, and you may run it as long as you like without the power steering/alternator (if you have one) belt on, because the engine waterpump impeller is bolted to and directly driven by the camshaft.

Oops - yep. I forgot about the circulating pump arrangement.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There's also the old trick of quieting a slipping belt with some belt dressing. Using it once for testing purposes shouldn't have any negative effects.