93 Volvo Penta 740 - Volvo Penta 290DP-D Drive ID / Gimble Bearing Replacement

Kokopelli

Recruit
I have a 1993 Crownline 250CR with a Volvo Penta 740 engine and 290DP stern drive.

I found a hole in my upper drive bellows which allowed water to get into the drive. Located instructions in the forum and took it upon myself to order new seals and replace the bellows by removing the upper gear box. Inspected the U-joints which looked brand new and replaced the seals and bellows hose. Refilled with synthetic gear oil and all was as it should be...or so I thought.

Took the boat back on the lake and began feeling a vibration from the drive while pulling away from the dock. Put it back on the trailer and brought it to my boat mechanic who informs that I need new gimble bearings. He is informing that he must remove the engine from the boat to change the bearings.

My research on the drive showed that it was a 290DP and I had hoped to validate that when I lifted the helmet. As you can see in the attached photo, the ID plate was blank. I asked the mechanic to ID the drive and after attempting to blow smoke, I requested that he try again. He came back today with a response of Volvo Penta 290DP-D.

Does this drive ID sound right for the year and model of my boat?

Is an engine pull required to change the gimble bearing? If so, does this mean an engine pull every time/anytime a hole is found in the bellows causing water leakage? The marina is projecting a cost of 2K according to their Spader flat rate manual.

Thanks in advance for your responses,

20120616_174342.jpg

20120526_184609.jpg

20120616_173905.jpg

I have more pictures available.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 93 Volvo Penta 740 - Volvo Penta 290DP-D Drive ID / Gimble Bearing Replacement

You don't have a gimbal bearing. Volvo didn't have those with that type drive. What you do have is a bearing in the flywheel housing.
While it may require an engine pull to replace the bearing, some have claimed it possible to remove the shaft by removing the upper gear box and removing from the back. I've never been that lucky, since there isn't anything to grab hold of, and with enough rust and corrosion, can be difficult to remove the shaft even with the engine out.

You have the single bearing setup in this file.

View attachment Overhauling the Flywheel Cover.pdf

Kokopelli

Recruit
Re: 93 Volvo Penta 740 - Volvo Penta 290DP-D Drive ID / Gimble Bearing Replacement

You don't have a gimbal bearing. Volvo didn't have those with that type drive. What you do have is a bearing in the flywheel housing.
While it may require an engine pull to replace the bearing, some have claimed it possible to remove the shaft by removing the upper gear box and removing from the back. I've never been that lucky, since there isn't anything to grab hold of, and with enough rust and corrosion, can be difficult to remove the shaft even with the engine out.

You have the single bearing setup in this file.

View attachment 166112

Thank you Don - Appreciate the feedback.