1973 Evinrude - 1996 Evinrude

Duelfuel

Cadet
Hello,
I am replacing my grandfathers old 1973 Evinrude 65hp with a 1996 Evinrude 60hp. They are virtually identical 3 cylinder motors. Each of them have (what I believe to be called) the standard red 7 prong electrical plug? Does anyone know if this is as simple as re-mounting the old motor, plugging it in, and go?
Thanks

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Evinrude - 1996 Evinrude

count the number of pins in both plugs , to be on the safe safe side i would compare the wires with a drawing , there are about 7\8 pins in the 65hp & about 13 pins in the 60hp according to the harness wires i counted

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If they both have the red plugs you should be okay. But beware, system check came out in 1996 and the harneses were different.

Duelfuel

Cadet

They are identical red plugs, with the same number of prongs. I have not heard of system check though... What does that entail?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

System check had different connectors rather than the red plug. You may not have a '96. Post a model #.

Duelfuel

Cadet

I looked up the model number and it is a '96. In the Seloc/Clymer manuals, they seem to say some had the red plug, while others have different plugs. I've been told they've taken the old motor off the boat. I'll have to post when we put the new one on today, what the results are...

Duelfuel

Cadet

We've got the motor on. No problems. Red plug to red plug, no worries!

Next issue, the power trim... the motor will go down, but not go up. As in, you can here the power trim work when it goes down, but it is completely dead, when pushing the button to go up. Is there wiring diagrams anywhere? Is the button broken? Any thoughts?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try the top secret files at the begining of this forum.

Duelfuel

Cadet

Thanks boobie... much appreciated...

But I need to elaborate on another issue... We did get the engine started and took it for a spin, but with one hiccup. We went to start it (shroud off), and noticed, wow, the engine is hot! We went to turn it over, and the battery was almost dead. We've approximated that the ignition, although completely off (key removed) is continuing to draw current. We are using the original Evinrude controls and wiring from the 1973, so for some reason, we figure the ignition is still drawing power. After a few nervous hours, as we re-charged the battery, the engine started and ran fine. But this is another unforseen issue. Should we be looking at new controls? Would a wiring diagram outline the difference? Perhaps these are redundant questions/statements, but why would the ignition do this? Or is it something else?

Duelfuel

Cadet

Well, we've got the trim figured out... One of the wires was unplugged... Go figure... :p

The engine continues to draw power after we shut it off... hopefully this will change if we get another set of controls... we'll see what happens...