Soft spot in front of ski locker.

Trips

Cadet
Hey all, I have a 1988 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider 20'. The floor to the front of the ski locker has a soft spot that is around 5 or 6 inches. Is there a repair/reinforcement for this without replacing the floor? Is that floor piece a solid rectangle that runs from the ski locker to the front seat, if yes assuming no stringer repair is needed What is the process to replace only that part? I understand that it is more than likely a sign of a bigger problem involving major work on the stringers and deck of the whole boat, but for the time being is there a fix(from underneath)?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Soft spot in front of ski locker.

Uhmm, most of the members on iBoats won't approve of Band Aid fixes unless the stringers have been checked and proven to be in good shape. If the stringers are bad the soft spot is the least of your worries. You should make sure your boat is in Sea Worthy condition. The Soft Spot could be your Tip Off that it is not a Sea Worthy Craft.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

It always start with one stinking soft spot

IMAG0341.jpg

and then...

IMAG0809.jpg

and before you know it, full restoration :)

IMAG0983.jpg

Seriously though, check your boat with your and your family safety in mind, not based on how much work your findings might lead to.

Pontiacdart

Recruit

I have a 88 SeaRay 200BR as well with the exact same issue. I know the spot around the ski locker needs replacement as well as areas in front of the engine. Luckily the transom was already replaced before I purchased the boat. Not sure why they didn't fix these areas as well so it looks like a winter/spring project for me :facepalm:.

baloo6049

Cadet

I have an 89 Sea Ray 160, with yes the exact same soft spot in the front. I started looking around and found rotten stringers and transom. In my research, I have found the Sea Ray's from this era, did not have any type of drainige through the stringers to allow water to drain to the bildge. Hence the stringers were saturated and rotting / delaminating. It was a mess.

Trips

Cadet

For all you negative folks that commented on my OP, I have to say you were completely wrong. I opened up the floor ant the stringers are great, and so is the rest of the deck. Only the soft spot in front of the ski locker! Cut it out, repaired and reinforced so this spot will have support and re-carpeted. Like new. There is no need to immediately cut in on someone asking a question! For everyone else, where yes it is common so need a full overhaul when you start finding soft spots, it isn't necessarily the case! get in, take a look and perhaps for under $100 you'll be all set.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on it being easy to fix. W/out pix it's hard to assess damage. Your minimal & localized damage is most definitely not the normal findings. If there was foam in the cavity below the damage, all may not be as it seemed.

Hopefully you eliminated all the damage & the repairs have taken care of the problem.

Again, w/out pic it's extremely hard to gauge damage remotely....