Newbie looking for an entry level fishing boat in the NW

nospeed!

Recruit
As the title states, I am new to boating, and I'm researching all different types of boats that would be a good start for me and my family.
I'll be fishing around the San Juan's and occasionally in the Straight of Juan De Fuca.

I think I'd like a 22ft cuddy cabin, walk-around fishing boat.
My budget will probably get me a mid to late 90's era model

What manufacturers should I look for and which ones to stay away from?​
What engine type (inboard/outboard) is best? Manufacturer? Horsepower?​
What type of accessories are essential?​

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Newbie looking for an entry level fishing boat in the NW

Im no expert but I have fished the Straight and the San Juan's and the coast a fair bit. I personally like the aluminum boats that Ive seen in that size range. Dont know any brands in particular. As far as IO vrs outboard, thats a mostly personal choice. The larger aluminum boats Ive seen often come with twin outboards. That gives you some redundancy and an extra safety factor which I really like. It can get very nasty very fast in those waters. The outboards also give you more space inside the boat. The trade off is they are more in the way fishing off the stern.

As far as equipment, safety is paramount. At least one good marine radio, a quality GPS chart plotter with up to date charts and a good depth sounder. Of course flares, fire extinguishers etc and all the other goodies that are normally required by the coast guard. Id also carry a sat beacon. If I was taking my family out in those waters Id also consider taking survival suits.

If your not already familiar with boating on open water, Id seriously consider taking the Coast Guard Auxiliary boating course. You will learn the basics of navigation, all about nav aids, safety and general boat handling, right of way, signaling, anchoring, mooring, etc etc. Its a very good course and not expensive.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for buying a boat from the 90's, condition is more important than brand, although there are some "super boats" like Boston Whalers where you seldom find them in such bad condition as to be a problem other than cosmetic.

There are OB motors and engines/sterndrives that are inferior, or parts no longer available, to avoid at all costs.

equally important to condition, for coastal waters, is hull design. You do not want the "scoop" bow rider that is popular, and fine, on lakes. A bay boat design might not be good for you; I don't know your waters. Then, when considering design, there is the ride; the cathedral hull like on a whaler is possibly the safest and most seaworthy, but it can be bumpy.

I'd get on a Pacific NW recreational boating site for advice.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Something like a mid-90s Grady White 226 Seafarer sounds like just the ticket.