Distributor cap and Electrical issue possible... HELP is needed!!!!

joeyholzer74

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2006 Tahoe Q4 with the 4.3 190 HP engine. The boat has run great all summer, has always been a little cold blooded though on the first start-up for the day. I took it out yesterday, let the kids swim, pulled one of them on the tube for about 10 min, picked up a buddy, then ancored again. After we sat for about 30 min I went to start the boat and nothing. It would turn over fine and fire, but then would die right away. It acted like the kill switch was pulled, which it was not. I tried the fast idel, it would fire and die. If i kept turning the key it would fire up and rev up but as soon as i released the key from the start position it would die. I was about 1/2 mile from the dock and not a boat in sight. Ended up pulling the boat to the dock by hand. Once I got to the dock i started to look at the engine compartment and found one of the studs on the Distributor cap was broken off. Looks like previouse owner broke it off and glued it back on. DUMB!!!.. I have another distributor cap comming in tomorow, but what else could be going on with the boat? With one stud missing the boat should still run correct?

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Distributor cap and Electrical issue possible... HELP is needed!!!!

I think you should wait for the cap and try to start the motor then, with the expectation that it won't run. In the meantime you ought to do the homework here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035 which is a thread in the stickies about possible causes of not starting.
Seems to me I have seen your condition come up before, it's electrical, either the key switch or something else in the ignition circuitry.

joeyholzer74

Seaman Apprentice

I also ordred a new ignition switch yesterday, parts should be here today. There was also a 5 amp fuse blown up under the stearing column, no clue what is is for as i do not have a manual but i have replaced that also. Will know more today when the parts come in.

Maclin

Admiral

I would check the voltage at the coil positive terminal with the key on, engine not running.