Help finding parts for 1971 40hp Evinrude

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, I recently bought a '71 evinrude 40 hp ski twin that needs parts. It's NOT an electric or hydro-electric shift. It turns over with a jump battery and sounds strong. It was only $50. If compression checks out, I want to get this thing going. It's missing the wiring harness (it has just the one on the motor-side) and fuel pump. The high speed needle is broken off the carb and missing the linkage so I need replacements for those. The skeg has a bad gouge in it and may need replaced. The cover has been cracked and poorly repaired (it's functional but not pretty) and I may replace it. It's also not a tiller version but I'd like to convert it if possible. There's probably several hoses and linkages elsewhere that are missing that I just haven't figured out yet.

My question is, what do you guys do when you see a part on ebay that you think might work for a motor you're trying to fix? Looking at diagrams on marineengine.com, it seems like none of the parts I mentioned above have the same part numbers for any years that are close (1968-1972) for 40hp motors. I've heard that many parts for '55 to '73 OMC motors are interchangeable. If so, have I just stumbled on a motor that's an exception, or are there cross-references for part numbers that I'm just not aware of? If so do you have a source?

I also have a 1959 10hp Johnson that I'm working on that's been alot of fun so far. That one is very close to running. Just as soon as the acetone and ATF soak gets the lowspeed needle unstuck from the threaded bushing. Been 3 days in the soak and still won't budge using two pairs of pliers and a BBQ lighter for heat. Any help on any of these points is greatly appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help finding parts for 1971 40hp Evinrude

Take a look in the "Top Secret File" sticky at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, I bet some of them can help you out with parts that you need.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's helpful. I actually knew about that list. Helped me find a air silencer for the 1959 10hp johnson for only $15. I was wondering about cross checking parts for when you see an awesome deal on ebay but aren't sure if it'd work or not. I saw a empty lower unit on ebay that might fit my 40hp (to replace the damaged skeg) for only $20. The problem is it's not the exact same motor as mine. Sellers on ebay often say, "should fit many other motors", but I can't just take their word for it if I'm shelling out more than $10 for a part. I forgot to mention this is model 40153G.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I have never been a fan of buying parts on e-bay, it seems like the parts pictured are not the parts you get. Don't trust what a seller says, after all they are trying to sell you something.
The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have the most recent part number and if it woun't cross to your engine, don't get it.
At least if you call a salvage yard with the model and part number, you will probably get the correct parts.