vexing problem with 1981 johnson 70

duffdad

Recruit
I let some gas go bad in my tank, but have since cleaned the tank and hose, replaced bulb but continue to have same problem. Motor starts fine, idles well, but when I power up to 3000 rpm, runs very rough. Here's the vexing part, only runs rough for about 5-10 minutes. I pull back on throttle, push forward slowly, and after this time, motor then runs fine for the rest of the day. this has happened the last 10 times I used the boat. I have run Seafoam through with the gas, and have srayed carb cleaner into the intake while running.
the only other clue is when I spray the carb cleaner into the middle carb, it almost immediately chokes out the motor, but when I spray it into the top and bottom carb, it runs slightly higher rpm, as you would expect.
I may just pull the carbs, but if they're clogged, why would it run fine after 5 minutes?

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: vexing problem with 1981 johnson 70

It is likely having trouble getting up on the main jets due to goo. Seafoam etc only works if the fuel is flowing throughout the carb. If it is blocked it can't clean anything. No such thing as a mechanic in a can. ;) I'd pull the carbs and give em a good cleaning. You may not need to kit them but it wouldn't hurt either. Just be sure to have a good manual handy for your motor if you decide to tackle it.