What Outdrive Should I Install???

Showtimes2

Cadet
I am buying a 1974 SeaRay SRV 190 that originally had a 302 Ford and 888 in it. The boat is rough and will be a major project, however it now has a 351w Ford, with an old M & W Gear twin turbo kit on it, and no outdrive, just the mounting plate on the transom. I know the stringers and floor are bad and most likely the transom also. So assuming that I will be rebuilding the transom, do I find another 888 or is there a better choice since I will have a clean slate to start with? I am guessing no more than 350 hp(probably optimistic with only 3-4lbs of boost)although I am not ruling out a few modifications for a little more. And how much hassle is it going to be to swap to another drive? I did see an MC-1(whatever that is!) and 351 engine for sale cheap. What should I plan for? Thanks in advance for your input!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What Outdrive Should I Install???

I am buying a 1974 SeaRay SRV 190 that originally had a 302 Ford and 888 in it. The boat is rough and will be a major project, however it now has a 351w Ford, with an old M & W Gear twin turbo kit on it, and no outdrive, just the mounting plate on the transom. I know the stringers and floor are bad and most likely the transom also. So assuming that I will be rebuilding the transom, do I find another 888 or is there a better choice since I will have a clean slate to start with? I am guessing no more than 350 hp(probably optimistic with only 3-4lbs of boost)although I am not ruling out a few modifications for a little more. And how much hassle is it going to be to swap to another drive? I did see an MC-1(whatever that is!) and 351 engine for sale cheap. What should I plan for? Thanks in advance for your input!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The Alpha 1 is a plug, 'n play on yer MC-1 transom....

The tallest gear ratio available, Today is 1.50:1,...
You'd need to prop up, as the 351 used a 1.32:1 gear set...

Still doable though...

Showtimes2

Cadet

So the 888 is an "MC-1" and the alpha will bolt on? Sounds like a simple solution, what kind of power will it handle?

Bondo

Staff member

So the 888 is an "MC-1" and the alpha will bolt on? Sounds like a simple solution, what kind of power will it handle?

Ayuh,... The stated ratin' is 300 hp....

Some guys are runnin' Sbc Strokers successfully, though probably gently...

In the 2 years before the Bravo, the 454 was offered with the Alpha 1s, though in the 1.32:1 ratio....