Boating after a hurricane

Thales14

Seaman Apprentice
With Isaac now having passed (and assuming any of the boat launches survived along back bay) am pondering how long should wait before boating to let any debris in the water settle.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boating after a hurricane

Depends on the debris. Biggest problem would slightly submerged logs, trees and the like that you couldn't see upon approaching and upon hitting could throw an occupant out of the boat in addition to possible to engine/transom damages. Course if the water is still high all kinds of things could be submerged, like parks adjacent to water that have covered dining areas and cooking grills that can do a number on you and your boat. I'd cool it and do something else for awhile.

Mark

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think that you'd be fine as long as the water in front of you looks clean. I would go out and take it real easy, don't go more than about 7 knotts and keep your eyes peeled for any debris in the water. It won't take you long to figure out how much junk is out there, if it's lots and lots I'd head back in and leave it for someone else to destroy their boat.

emoney

Commander

Assuming you're going out in the Gulf, it's pretty good about self-maintaining. Thing about these storms is they're pretty danged centralized and if your slice of the world didn't get nailed by it, odds are it will seem normal. We get brushed by them all the time and while it took me a little getting used to, but by the time they were "out of the area", folks were right back out fishing/skiiing/doing all things boating. The biggest question will be wherever you put in at. If that's "all clear", then you should be green-light to go.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Agree with Texasmark. Stay put for a while. You'd be surprised how much junk gets stirred up by a hurricaine that you can't see that you don't want to run over.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with Texasmark. Stay put for a while. You'd be surprised how much junk gets stirred up by a hurricaine that you can't see that you don't want to run over.

agree .... following high water levels many items that were lying on the shore end up in the water .... give it a little time makes sense to me but if you choose to launch your boat, take it slow

Jim