Redecking pontoon - 8 foot to 8.5 foot beam width questions

x_david_x

Cadet
We have a 8'x24' pontoon. We had some work done recently and the shop burned the carpet in a couple places. Since they are going to pay for the carpet to be replaced, I figured we should probably go ahead and replace the deck at the same time. Taking that one step further, I thought that we could increase the width from 8 feet to 8.5 feet.

Questions:

1) I do have some adjustment in my bunk trailer, but not enough to move the pontoons 6 more inches apart. Do 8.5 foot wide decks just hang over the toons more than 8 foot pontoons? In other words, should I just plan on the pontoons staying the same distance apart as they are now with the 8 foot deck?

2) Will adding a 3rd pontoon change the answer for (1)?

3) Should I plan on using the same metal support beams?

4) The bimini frame, front gate and middle back part of the enclosure will all need to be replaced/adjusted. Recommendations for sources for these items or do you recommend having something custom made?

5) Recommendations for sources for aluminum sheets that make up the enclosure. The current enclosure has some dents.

6) At a minimum, I may want to replace the decal designs on the enclosure. Sources for these?

7) Aluminum vs wood for the deck?

8) Thinking about marine vinyl instead of carpeting. Recommendations on best marine vinyl? Also wondering if you need to wrap it around the edges, because what I am finding online is 8'6" wide, so with a 8'6" deck, there wouldn't be any to wrap around?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Redecking pontoon - 8 foot to 8.5 foot beam width questions

Just replace the carpeting and have fun.

x_david_x

Cadet

Trust me, that thought has crept in more than once. :)

This work will be done in the off season, so we won't lose any boating time. We already wasted 6 weeks of the summer having someone else do a bunch of work that cost too much, took too long, resulted in damaged carpet and damaged equipment and other things that were done poorly. Now the work will be done by us in the off season.

Since we put a bunch of money into it and we're going to replace the upholstery after this year too, we decided to go all the way.

For the vinyl flooring, I've found three brands:

- Nautolex
- Merideck
- Alpha

If anyone has any recommendations/experience with these brands, I'd love to hear it.

I'm having a difficult time finding sources for these materials in 102" width too. If anyone knows of some sources, that would be great. I'm only finding a couple colors in that width for some of these.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

Plywood comes in 4'x8' sheets . I have redecked one. Your railings and metal skirting fits the size of your existing boat. If that is no problem or you have a way to salvage hardware from a larger boat, O.K. Not trying to rain on your parade Just look what that extra 6" is going to do cost against benefit.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a fun project. If your rails are in good shape, they could be reused, you will need to make a custom bow and stern gates. I would put the additional 6 inches in the center rather than 3" on either side, seems to me it would make for a more stable deck. We have vinyl floors on our boat, grandkids can spit, spill, and puke and even have an occasional 'accident' with no major problems. Think about adding an RV water pump under the seats. you can hose off the deck anywhere, and it makes one hell of a great 'squirt gun'.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I think you are going to run into all kinds of problems with this project, you will need new deck trim, your rails will no longer fit the boat, ect ect, to me it just seems like an awful lot of expense and trouble to gain 6''.

Your rails would have to be custom made since there are really no stock rails for a boat, each model has it's own rails that are generally made by the company that makes the boat, if they are strill in buisness, you could contact them and see if they can custom make a rail and gate but have your check book out.

you should have the tubes and deck be the same width which means new crossmembers at $30-$50 each, lighter ones can be had cheaper but they will be really flimsy.

You are essentially going to be building and entire boat from scratch, I am not try to pee on your parade but just want you to know how difficult a task you are thinking of undertaking here, you could end up with a really expensive mess here.

If I were you I would just recarpet and be done with it.

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What they all Said. I to have a pontoon boat that I am going to redeck this winter and I have had all kinds of thoughts of extending the deck, not in width but in length, which would be easier. The deck and railing right now come to a point in the front and I want it square. That will require new cross braces up front, rub rail and railing. Of course I want the rub rail to match, but they don't make that style anymore so I would have to buy all new stuff. And that aint cheap. The work realy isnt that much but after checking the prices on the stuff I need to do the job, especialy the rub rail, I decided to keep it the size that it is and just redeck and recarpet. Your job will be nuch more work and money for only 6". Which ever you decide good luck and start a project thread.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK you've been worned. But I say if you have the funds and the time,go for it. I did...

I got the same response for the 102" question. One even said that was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard off. Well that very well may be,but it's definately not the stupidest thing I've ever done. It's been one hell of a project,and a lot of fun. Built it out of pocket,when I had the time. Best part is nobody else has one like it. If you start from scratch it's a clean slate. If you decide to take this on, I'll help you were I can.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to do, I rebuilt my fishing boat from the keel up exactly like I wanted it and it was a great experience but, I work for a boat company and got most of the stuff I used as vendor samples they were going to throw away.

If x david has the time resources and skill to pull this off ti would be a great project, I jsut didin't want him to get half way into it and realize it was going to cost $4000-$5000 to complete or find out maybe it isn't that easy to build a pontoon.

A guy bought one of our boats and decided to rebuild it, he of coarse got it tore down but then found he didn't have the ability to put it back together so he had to send it back to us to reassemble.

I really think by the time this project is done and you have replaced all the crossmembers, deck, built rails, gotten new canvas for the bimini ect ect ect he could have sold this boat and spent the same amount getting a built 8 1/2' one that he actually wants.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I won't argue with your logic, 5150abf. I would even say your probably generous with the costs estimate. I spent a hell of a lot more that that,but I didn't re-use anything but the outer tubes. If I had it to do again (knowing what I know now) I'd spend even more. How far a guy takes it does depend on your skill level,self motivation,and funds. I believe with the knowledge resource on the web an average Joe can take this on. Building a pontoon reminds me of a big erector set. It all just unbolts,and you can rebuild it back a hundred different ways. If you have the imagination and the right parts the sky's the limit. That's what's really cool about building a pontoon.

For me, nobody builds one like I wanted. I'm not your typical "tooner" though. I started out with the average rebuilder. Bought new cushy funiture,graphs,trolling motor,etc. had it all put together and about ready to launch. Stood back looking at it one day and decided that wasn't at all what I really wanted. If I was going to do this how I wanted I'd have to throw logic out the window,and start over. Could I off sold it and bought a bigger/badder toon for the same money? Absolutley,but it still wouldn't of been what I wanted.

In short I'd put it like this. If all you want is a typical "booze cruiser" type of pontoon then you could be time and money ahead selling your's and upgrading to one of thousands on the market. Careful with your selection,as you may be replacing someone else's rotten deck and used up funiture in a few yrs. anyways. However, if you'd rather custom build your own there is a satisfaction in a project like this that is hard to put a value on.