88 2.3L omc overheating then cooling right off

j4gwig

Cadet
my omc cobra ,has been running up to 180 on the gauge then cools off fast,but yesterday took it out and it shot up over 200,I pulled the hose off going to the water pump,started engine no water,put it back on,started engine and started to overheat,shut it off waited 10min.started engine and it cooled right off,and was fine the rest of the day,,this has started since I changed impeller and housing,what is going on..

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 2.3L omc overheating then cooling right off

my omc cobra ,has been running up to 180 on the gauge then cools off fast,but yesterday took it out and it shot up over 200,I pulled the hose off going to the water pump,started engine no water,put it back on,started engine and started to overheat,shut it off waited 10min.started engine and it cooled right off,and was fine the rest of the day,,this has started since I changed impeller and housing,what is going on..

I'm relatively new to the motor (bought the same a few months ago) but have you checked the thermostat?

j4gwig

Cadet

when i checked sitting in the lake I was not getting water through the hose to the thermostat, well when I took the hose off and started the engine
it did shoot a little water maybe 1 cup full then nothing,,with the engine running sitting the the lake shouldn't there be water just blowing out the hose thats running to that thermostat housing??

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

plastic garbage bag floating around in the lake maybe, or weeds tightly wrapped ...

but the 180 sounds high. Could be an issue with the piping inside the leg to the impeller housing from the water intake screens. Intermittently letting exhaust into the suction line.

j4gwig

Cadet

I fixed it I screwed up the new impeller and melted the housing somehow there goes another $100.