1984 Mercury 200 Reliability

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a 1984 Concord Boat with a 1984 200 HP Mercury on it. Really like boat but realize it is older and wondering about the reliability and performance etc. of this particular engine. I have never owned a Merc before so I know little or nothing about them. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular with this engine? Are parts readily available? Are they serviceable for someone who is mechanically inclined. I completely rebuilt an Evinrude 200 HP so I believe I have some what of a grasp on outboards but I am by no means an expert. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Dukedog

Captain
Re: 1984 Mercury 200 Reliability

Do a compression AND LEAKDOWN test on it. That being a "chrome bore" motor it will be tha main concern. '84 may/may not be oil injection as that is when it came out. If it is, it would be a good time to "lose" it if tha rest of tha motor checks out. Its gettin' very old. Parts are no problem for it. New and used. I know of several older Merc/Mariners that are still alive and well just as they came other that some electrics replaced and injection removed. But it is an old motor so do your homework well............jmo

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1984 Mercury 200 Reliability

These are a good motor if looked after.
Check gear oil is free of water.Check ignition/spark.
Take it for a run and keep an eye on temp.