1988 Basscat Margay 17'

I am looking at this boat. The sparkle is faded, but some elbow grease would clean it up decent.

There is no motor. I have one however.

The transom looks good. No cracks in gel coat, no stress cracks, just faded. The deck has some cracks and appears soft and the other decking you can see from the bait wells/storage area and such seem to be the hull of the boat. I believe the newer Basscats are zero wood, but I am not clear on something this old...does anyone know for sure?

Where is the foam? I couldn't see any.

The man wants $550 and personally (South Fla) I think that a fair price.

Thanks,
Steve

emoney

Commander
Re: 1988 Basscat Margay 17'

IF there is in fact wood in it, and the rot entrails into the stringers, then the odds are the bottom of the transom is bad as well. Should that be the case, then I, personally, think $550.00 is a bit much, unless it's coming on a trailer that's worth it. Lots of "free" boats out there with rot, so just confirm this isn't the case. You could always remove a transducer or speedo from the transom and see what's on the end of those screws, since I'm sure "test drilling" is probably not an option with it belonging to someone else.

Good luck, whichever route you go and make sure you keep us involved with a "resto-thread" if that's the parth! You know how it is around here; pics, pics and more pics!

Re: 1988 Basscat Margay 17'

Thanks emoney.

I agree regarding the stringers into the transom. Just don't know for sure if there are wood stringers in the thing. Trailer is in good shape, tires ok. With the original motor removed, I checked the mounting holes in the transom and they were solid, but that about as far as one can see. Here's a pic but it's not really worth much.bc.jpg