Volvo 4.3 Temprature sender

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have not been able to find a definitive answer on this.

I have a 1996 Volvo Penta 4.3 GS PNCS (4bbl carburetor) with Cobra outdrive. My temp gauge is not working and I initially thought it was a loose wire under the dash but since replacing that it's still not working. So I thought I would check the sending unit to see if it was sending a signal. Now the fun part. Can't seem to find it. I also can't seem to find anywhere in the literature that refers to a location.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Pictures would be great if possible.

Thanks a million!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 4.3 Temprature sender

Should be on the front of the intake manifold or the thermostat housing. It has a single tan wire going to it.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if that's the case there isn't one on this engine. I have looked all over that area and found nothing and other than the fuel pump there are no wires even coming from the front "area" of the engine.

Thanks Don.

I was able to find the proper replacement part (there's actually 2 different styles listed for my engine) on the Volvo parts online site. I was going to compare old to new but I guess I can't do that. Would either work? I will have to check again but I think they were the same thread, just a different connection, either a small nut or a slide connector.

Again thanks.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, same place.

Technologic80

Seaman

Are you sure the engine is even heating up? Maybe the gauge or sender isnt bad.

When my thermostats stick open on my 4.3 engines (and it happens quite often), the gauges never leave the lowest point. The manifolds and risers are cool to the touch.