any one own /owned a liquor store ?

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the county i live in just came out of the dark age and voted to legalize liquor sales and i will be applying for a lic. for a package store...any one have any experience with this ?

kawakx125

Seaman
Re: any one own /owned a liquor store ?

nope, i never lived in a county that don't sell beer, question is why did you lol

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they sell beer here but just voted in hard liquor

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gotta jump into the 21st century with your terminology jims pb. They started calling them 'package stores' back when they would furtively stuff your bottle into a plain paper package so as to disguise your transgressions. I have always, tongue in cheek, referred to liquor stores as package stores even though we never used that term out here on the west coast. I must have picked up that term from a history class or movies. Everyone would say, huh? A few years back I was visiting my daughter in Greensville SC. We were driving down the road and there in front of me loomed a 'Package Store'. I had to get out my camera and drive around the block to get a picture so all my friends could see I knew what I was talking about.

emoney

Commander

Never owned one, but I had neighbors for a few years that did. Outside of the fact that it took a LOT of work, they seemed to be happy enough with it, I suppose. It's a lot like any business in that it takes a ton of hard work and effort to make it successful, but you get out of it what you put into it. Never made them rich, but they were comfortably middle class. The only thing I think he regretted was the amount of time he had to work as evidently the normal work week is about 80 hours long, lol.

What got you thinking about this idea? is it something you've always wanted to do? Seems like it's a "high inventory" business that requires some serious out-of-pocket money to get started.

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i work for the state and have 6 years to go before i retire and thought this would be a good way to boost my income. the nearest liquor store is 40 miles away and with only 2 lic. being offered for the whole county i think it will do well if i can get one

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

which county do you live in so I can avoid it. even our grocery stores and gas stations have liquor licenses.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I never owned one but in my younger days Im sure I helped pay for the college education for the kids of some store owners.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I never owned one but in my younger days Im sure I helped pay for the college education for the kids of some store owners.

BTDT. our dorm floor would buy 400-500 worth of alcohol every thursday from university liquor in Milwaukee. we put the owners 3 kids thru college.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A good friend of mine owns two upscale ?beverage? shops. They work long hours and spend a lot of time and effort on promotions, wine tasting events, etc.

The upside is that he drives one of these.

1139981_48-ft2002ocean-yachts48-super-sport.jpg

The down side is that break-ins are common place