Any wakeskaters?

PSiedTSi

Seaman Apprentice
Just curious if there are any wakeskaters on here. I just started about a month or so ago, never been wakeboarding or skiing, just figured it looked like something fun to do.

What do you 'skate on? I have a Liquid Force Anthem 2012 'skate. It's apparently an "advanced" board, but I'm so new I don't really know what makes it different. I know wood has more pop and weight than composite, and is less durable, but that's about it.

What do you 'skate behind? I use my 88 Four Winns Freedom 160, but just bought a Polaris SL 750 to use as my "tow rig". I've gone behind a Kawasaki Ultra 150 and it was a pretty decent ride. You pull the ski quite a bit but I think it's easier to maintain the speed in that and pickups are MUCH easier. My boat has decent wake, but that's the part I like about 'skating...you don't need a wake to have a good time.

What kind of tricks can you do? I'm quite a newb, so I've only done a front and backside butterslide, and a little ollie over the lip of the wake. I can ride it pretty well and have no problems cutting in and out sharply. I've been refining my deep water starts to the point of just standing on it and sliding out of the water...seems like the stress is a lot lower on the boat AND myself, zero plowing, etc. Sometimes I pop out too fast and my feet get too far in front of me and I slide off of it haha.

Anyone else?

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any wakeskaters?

I've tried it before. Fun to do something different once in a while. I don't do any trick really. Just like to ride and have fun.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

I have been riding for about 2 months now. I dont do any "tricks" yet but I am working on jumping the wake. I can get ok air but the landings are non existent. I wakeboarded before this and I like skating much better. I got knocked a few too many times on the wakeboard, and now my head hurts just thinking about it. I figure I can go much slower on the skate and I have more fun as well.

PSiedTSi

Seaman Apprentice

I have been riding for about 2 months now. I dont do any "tricks" yet but I am working on jumping the wake. I can get ok air but the landings are non existent. I wakeboarded before this and I like skating much better. I got knocked a few too many times on the wakeboard, and now my head hurts just thinking about it. I figure I can go much slower on the skate and I have more fun as well.

Exactly. That's been my experience as well. I've never done any wakeboarding, but have heard enough from friends to know that the falls aren't worth it haha. Then again, I've fallen pretty hard skating, but I didn't have the board to slam me harder.

I'm the same way with landings. I did my first ollie this weekend outside the wake, other than that I've been falling pretty much every time. I still it love it though! I actually went behind a 60hp pontoon this weekend and it was rather interesting...about 15mph top speed.