Captaining the SS is overrated! So is always going fast.

JohnWI

Seaman
Had to take the opportunity to sit up front for a change and I have to say I LOVE IT!!! Granted, conditions were ideal yesterday with very little wind over our neighboring 5,000 acre aqua-playground.

Not that it is loud (in the cockpit) or anything, but sitting up front is WAY COOL. It is quieter as you only hear practically nothing but the breeze and you're sort of elevated a bit and the bow spray is anything but as it was far behind me...it was awesome! The wife had to practically pry me back into the driver's seat. I doubt she was doing more than 20-25.

Do yourself a favor and sit up front sometime if you haven't, yet.

I should also add that I've come to appreciate using the SS as a mini-pontoon cruiser. I absolutely hated to admit it, but even going around the lake, which is in the vicinity of 20 miles, cruising at speed made for a quick trip (@ 22-27, or so). So we started to slow-no-wake it for a while, then zip along, over and over again. It stretches the journey out and is A LOT OF FUN.

Do yourself another favor and just idle along from time to time. I guess it's not all about speed, after all. Who'da thunk it?

(admission---SNW zones SUCK, but going SNW by choice isn't bad at all)

PS...Fuel economy is pretty sweet with this little Evinrude 70 rig...I think we burned about 3 gallons making that lap of about 20 miles (slow and fast). Yesterday was about 4 gallons taking about a lap and a half +/- 27-30 miles (again, slow and fast). I will admit that I didn't GPS the mileage, but I recall taking the JetSki out and it had a pretty accurate speedo. Our trips were usually around 2-2.5 hours which is pretty good for keeping the toddler happy.

Our timing yesterday was great as an 85 16' SS made a maiden voyage for some lucky guy yesterday and his 90HP Ev performed well I was told (I left him a note about iBoats, too) and some other fisherman was just launching with a 70 just like mine. Great minds think alike!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Captaining the SS is overrated! So is always going fast.

Glad the Admiral took a turn at the wheel! Nice to have that option, if infrequent. I suspect it will be an extremely rare occasion on mine, but if there isn't much boat traffic or jetski's buzzing by, she might give it a whirl.

She's more of a Cleopatra, riding & sunning kinda boater. She'll fish, and bait her own hook with meal or wax worms (only), and unhook a barely hooked sunfish or 2, but adding oil to the mix gas, or tote'n the 6 gal gas cans, not so much ;)

Sounds like you enjoyed the ride(s). Outstanding.

HarryO60

Cadet

There are two places where I really enjoy freshwater boating. One is Lake Raystown in Pa. It's a Corps lake and no one owns property on the lake. Slow cruising in the quiet bays allows you to see and enjoy the wildlife. I've seen deer, bear, beaver, fox, eagles and woodchucks without them even knowing I was watching. My other favorite trick is to run up the Rancocas Creek here in NJ and shut off the motor allowing the boat to just drift back downstream, it's amazing what you see in the way of wildlife when you do that.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Hot rodding around the lake huh, sounds like you had fun.

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you had some fun out and about on the lake. I too have enjoyed letting my Fiancee and my son take the wheel, its is nice to relax upon occasion. My son and I shut off the engine and just drifted on the saltwater, it was flat calm, we were chatting for awhile, and then a boat came along. These fellas thought we were fishing a hot spot and dropped their fishing gear in... nope wrong guess guys, my son started up the yammie and we left. Too funny really, lol we just wanted to enjoy each other's company drifting along in the 16' SS.