Mercruiser power steering issues

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1992, 4.3 Mercruiser. I see many threads on here about problems with power steering hoses blowing out at the cooler. I too have this problem and can't seem to figure it out. Have changed the pump after it went dry and ruined the bearings, thought it was fixed and after getting it back running, the hose that enters the cooler blows out right at the fitting on the cooler. I now have the hose and cooler out and hose is still a good hose and I see nothing wrong with the cooler. I can blow air though it with no problem. This is the low pressure end so how does it build up so much to blow the hose out and what can be causing the blockage?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser power steering issues

1992, 4.3 Mercruiser. I see many threads on here about problems with power steering hoses blowing out at the cooler. I too have this problem and can't seem to figure it out. Have changed the pump after it went dry and ruined the bearings, thought it was fixed and after getting it back running, the hose that enters the cooler blows out right at the fitting on the cooler. I now have the hose and cooler out and hose is still a good hose and I see nothing wrong with the cooler. I can blow air though it with no problem. This is the low pressure end so how does it build up so much to blow the hose out and what can be causing the blockage?

Ayuh,.... Use another hose, 'n by-pass the cooler, for a Test...

If it don't blow off the pump, replace the cooler....

They get left with water in 'em over winter, 'n freeze, collapsin' the tubes inside...
They may pass air, but not enough oil volume...

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, that test makes sense, never thought to do that. I'll give an update soon.

Sea Bum

Recruit

Thanks, that test makes sense, never thought to do that. I'll give an update soon.

Just checking on how you made out, I have the same problem keep spreading oil just above fitting of oil cooler. I have seen rubber hose come apart inside that would restrict hydraulics line causing low pressure. Keep me in the loop i'm going to pull off the short piece of hose and check for it

later good luck

Dusty

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I haven't been able to get it all back together yet but I'll update what I have so far. My return hose is too short to do the test so I have been messing with the cooler and I do believe that is the problem. Once I blew air in it again I realized that it would indeed build up pressure as fluid is coming to it. Everything else just feels more open as I blow through it. I am the type that isn't afraid to try anything so I started working with this cooler. Very gently I have been tapping the tubes out from the ports and working my way around to open them up more. As far as blowing air through it has made a difference but the real test is yet to come. If it doesn't work I'll try some more, if it cracks, I'm not out anything anyways but right now it has improved. For you guys in the know, am I dreaming or is this even possible? These tubes are just copper tubing right?
Thanks for any info.

Sea Bum

Recruit

Been talking with couple old timer like me about our problem. They said the same thing, the water raw line wasn't drain and it froze, causing the inside to expand and cut of oil flow. I've order a new one, and i'll let you know if it works

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Been talking with couple old timer like me about our problem. They said the same thing, the water raw line wasn't drain and it froze, causing the inside to expand and cut of oil flow. I've order a new one, and i'll let you know if it works

Let us know.. My cooler is designed so that water passes through the cooler tubes and if frozen, would cause the tubes to expand, not colapse. The oil flows outside the tubes through the main chamber on mine. Do you have a pic of yours?

Could the vent in the PS pump cap be plugged up, allowing pressure to build in the system as it heats up?

Sea Bum

Recruit

It Sunday , work day on the boat. Working on why power steer hose keep blowing right at oil cooler. Some guys told me to check make sure it didn't freeze. I don't see why thats a problem. Blowed oil side of cooler out with air, had a little resitance at first , but once the oil cleared no problem. So that leave vent cap or just bad hose. Here some pictures of my cooler.Picture 121.jpgPicture 120.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That cooler has been Frozen,... I can see the bulgin'...

It ain't supposed to look that roundish...

Do my by-pass test, 'n you'll see, it's Junk...

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

X2 on bypass the cooler
Use a hose barb and connect the two lines together.

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is hard for me to get time to work on my boat, but I am curious if it would be crazy to make a cooler out of some other pipe such as galvanized pipe or black pipe with hose barbs for the hoses and run the oil through a copper line in one tee and out another tee. Just me being my innovative self and trying to save a few $$.

Bondo

Staff member

It is hard for me to get time to work on my boat, but I am curious if it would be crazy to make a cooler out of some other pipe such as galvanized pipe or black pipe with hose barbs for the hoses and run the oil through a copper line in one tee and out another tee. Just me being my innovative self and trying to save a few $$.

Ayuh,.... pretty much paddlin' backwards,...

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, don't want to paddle backwards. :) It drives me insane to see what the marine industry charges for things only because they think they have us all over a barrel. No way should a cooler cost well over $100. I need to do the test to make sure then I will keep looking. I love this site, it really is helpful. Thanks to all.

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, here is my update of my cooler. A few posts back I said how I messed with the cooler by carefully using a punch and trying to get those guts opened up to allow more fluid to go through thus relieving pressure on the return hose. Took the boat out this weekend and ran it full speed down the river, 1/2 hour one way and 1/2 hour back, and the power steering worked perfect. I had no issues at all. Opened the cap to check the fluid and it seems to be circulating nicely. Maybe I just got lucky and it wasn't as bad as others, but before anyone throws one away, I would at least give it a try. The price for these is way too much for what they actually consist of. (as is the marine industry). As I was tapping through the ports I tried to be extra careful to not crack or break the tubes. I would tap it a couple times and then blow though it to see if I felt any changes. The more I did it, I could tell a difference. So I hope everyone else can get as lucky as I did. Good Luck