Brakes Engaging in reverse

shaun77

Seaman
I have a 2011 shorelander trailor single axle with hydraulic surge brakes. When trailering the boat with the 5 pin harness in I am able to maneuver in reverse with no problems. When I unplug to load and place the piston key in on the tongue I can really feel resistance in reverse and when the boats off and am backing into my driveway then I'm pretty much pushing or bouncing the trailer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Brakes Engaging in reverse

With the 5 pin engaged the backing solenoid is venting the pressure back to the actuator. With the locking pin in the pressure has no where to go except to push the pads out.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With the locking pin in the pressure has no where to go except to push the pads out.

Uhhh, the pin is supposed to prevent the actuator from actuating. My question is "why unplug the harness?" ... :confused:

shaun77

Seaman

I've always unplugged at the ramp so I don't short my lights. Had no problems today though.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Mine does the same thing. I unplug my harness also.

UncleWillie

Captain

The solenoid Disables the Brakes.
The lockout Key Restricts the Brakes.
Before the coupler hits the lockout key, some braking is going to occur.

Backing down a ramp is usually not an issue as the truck isn't really PUSHING the trailer backwards; the trailer is trying to PULL the truck into the water.

Why would you unplug the connector to back up the driveway? :confused:

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why unplug the connector? Just leave it plugged in, the solenoid will activate and problem solved. I never unplug my connector to launch. I haven't changed a bulb in 4 years of using this trailer. The lights are not the kind that have the bulb sealed into a lens. In my experience the whole thing about water breaking tail light bulbs must be a myth. I've never experienced it in 10 years of trailer boating.

UncleWillie

Captain

... the whole thing about water breaking tail light bulbs must be a myth...

Nope it's real.
I never unplug and then finally last month I popped a bulb.
The glass cracked and popped a really neat circle the size of a dime. (2157 Bulbs)
My light fixtures are the type with a removable bottom.
The air pocket is supposed to keep the bulbs from getting wet.

I think I either backed in or pulled out with a little to much speed and may have caused a splash on the bulb.
Hasn't happened again in another half dozen outings.

shaun77

Seaman

My lights are submersible, it's just an old habit of mine to unplug anything electric before putting it in the drink. My house is one over from a ramp so I don't usually plug in unless on the highway which is where the problem comes from. With just the key, It usually engages when trying to power over the curb of a ramp or my driveway. So the " restriction" that uncle Willie mentioned makes sense. I guess some fluid still makes its way back.