Shifter Bellows, replacement help

Hello everyone, <br /> I have a 1988 Mercrusier AlfaOne 5.0L. I have a new Outdrive gasket kit and a new shifter bellows. I have the drive off, at the point that the bellhousing is still on. OK, with out replacing the shifter cable, how can I get the shift slide off at the inner core wire retaining piece that is crimped at the end. Can it be cut off and replaced, modified or repaired? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shifter Bellows, replacement help

You must remove the old shift cable to replace the bellows. The slide is only attached to the inner cable. It come out by removing the upper end with the 2 VERY small square bolt ends on the engine end of the cable. DO NOT cut anything. <br />If that cable is over 3 years old, replace it too. Or you will be going through this process again very soon. <br />Best thing to do is always replace the cable and shift cable bellows at the same time.<br /><br />Here is a link to the Mercruiser service manual. It's the only way to get the job done and readjusted properly.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf