5.7L runs but seems to miss or sputter at WOT

cforcht

Cadet
another question on this new purchase. 1996 starcraft 2212 cuddy 5.7L 2bbl alpha one gen2. boat has not been in the water for 4 years. seems to run well sometimes and others it seems to miss or sputter under full throttle. gas has been flushed in tank. new oil and fuel filters as well as oil. engine idles well. I have a shifter cable issue in another post where it dies when shifting to neutral from fwd. the only reason I mention this is because when the engine dies its sometimes reluctant to re-start again. when cranking it you can hear it trying to start. meaning its popping on some of the cylinders but not quite enough to start. it may take a couple tries but does eventually start. where should I begin in the process of getting it running right? rebuild carb? ignition tune up? both? or something else? any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7L runs but seems to miss or sputter at WOT

The missing or sputtering at WOT could be due to the engine needing a tuneup. Plugs, cap & rotor, check plug wires, timing (and advance timing), compression check etc. Check coil tower for cracks and spark jumping to the small terminals.
Also check the connectors for the ignition modules for corrosion.