7.4l Cylinder Head Removal/Reinstallation

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am working on my first I/O and it's a mid 90's BBC 454. The intake valves are stuck (run with bad gas) so I've pulled the cylinder heads off to get them out to a machine shop.

What special considerations do I need to have for a marine engine during the reinstallation? Do I need a marine specific head gasket or intake manifold gasket? Are the bolts or anything else different?

I know these are noob questions, but I just want to make sure I get it all back together correctly.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 7.4l Cylinder Head Removal/Reinstallation

The only thing that is different is the head gasket . . . If you get the Felpro marine gasket set for the top end, you will be all set.

Head bolts are the same . . . go with a new set.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Head bolts do not need to be replaced unless they are damaged for some reason. They are not torque to yield bolts that need replaced each time or anything like that.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, thanks guys. I will go ahead and order a new set of head bolts. They sure like torque to yield bolts to me, but I could be wrong.

I took the heat exchanger off and didn't have much trouble with that, but this boat has been sitting a long time and I'm not sure what all I should replace.

What would you guys replace if you new it had been sitting for 2 years?

My list so far is:

-All hoses.
-Belt(s)
-Water Pump - Does anyone have an informative link on how raw water/fresh water cooling works? I don't know where the impeller is that is grabbing water and I'm a little unclear on all of this saltwater plumbing.
-Manifolds
-Risers
-Carburetor clean/rebuild
-Distributor Rebuild + new cap/rotor
-Spark Plug Wires & Plugs