Deal or no deal 1998 monark sun spa 24ft

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Here my intentions where to come up with the money for a bass boat or trade for a bass boat. I ended up trading my motorcycle for a 92 chevy 1500 extended cab 350 v8 figured maybe i might be trading up might make a little more money to put toward a boat if I sold the truck. Well my uncle wants to trade me a 98 model monark 24ft sun spa 240 with a 90hp 98 model force on the back. The motor runs on the boat but the seats are bad, carpet is good steering cable is good, has power tilt and trim. I just dont want to make a mistake and get the bad end of the stick if u know what I mean. I seen an 01 model monark same length bigger motor for sale I couldnt believe how much they were asking for it but then i looked at the blue book value, seen the blue book value on the 98 also but u cant always go by blue book. How much would I be looking at spending to fix up the interior? Would u make the trade. Is this boat as it is now worth more then this truck?

jergeo

Cadet
Re: Deal or no deal 1998 monark sun spa 24ft

Here my intentions where to come up with the money for a bass boat or trade for a bass boat. I ended up trading my motorcycle for a 92 chevy 1500 extended cab 350 v8 figured maybe i might be trading up might make a little more money to put toward a boat if I sold the truck. Well my uncle wants to trade me a 98 model monark 24ft sun spa 240 with a 90hp 98 model force on the back. The motor runs on the boat but the seats are bad, carpet is good steering cable is good, has power tilt and trim. I just dont want to make a mistake and get the bad end of the stick if u know what I mean. I seen an 01 model monark same length bigger motor for sale I couldnt believe how much they were asking for it but then i looked at the blue book value, seen the blue book value on the 98 also but u cant always go by blue book. How much would I be looking at spending to fix up the interior? Would u make the trade. Is this boat worth more then this truck?

I am in the process of redoing a 24' suntracker and the seats run from a thousand to two thousand depending on what you want. The boat with new seats and what ever could be worth more than your truck by quite a bit but as the boat stands now I wouldn't do the deal. You might get two grand out of it if you find the right person. Does it have a trailer? I buy and fix and sell and the boat to the right cost me $12000 and with the addition of $2000 I sold it for $27000. You need to look and try to figure what it is going to cost you to put it back in shape to make a profit.

Last edited:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the boat has a trailer, its a single axle though which doesn't seem right to me should be a double axle I think. Sounds like I would be getting in over my head on this boat.

emoney

Commander

If you have to buy the seats, that's going to be $2k, at least. You need to be the deciding factor because we know nothing about the truck, you do. Safe to say, though, the truck's done depreciating....boat isn't.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

The trucks in good shape decent paint like new tires done a compression check today on the motor its good interior needs a little TLC I value the truck at 2500. I know boats hold there value.

emoney

Commander

I don't think boats hold their value much. If this isn't the boat you want hold out for it. I still think you're better off trading a truck for a bass boat, but then again, you're looking at them both, not us. Can you put a feeler out to see? I'm thinking 2 craigslist ads to trade for the bass boat to see which gets the most attention, the truck or the pontoon.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I did have some people interested in trading there bass boat for my motorcycle only one person came out with a boat it was a pile of junk hull was rated for an 85hp he had a 95hp merc on the back just one of many problems. If I don't trade for this toon I will probably just ask for cash this way I can go for what I really want. And yes I do my ads on craigslist. Just thought that this pontoon might be a good deal but I guess if u got the time and the money it might be and I have neither lol. You see bass boats from the 80s going for 3000 around here take a car from the 80s it ain't worth much.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Off brand barge that's in need of new upholstery and possibly new seat bases, obsolete and undesirable power plant and single axle trailer under a 24 footer all add up to no deal IMO. I wouldn't even consider it. YMMV

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

thank you all for your input. I traded the truck for a 1987 procraft bass boat 16ft with a 125hp force. I'm happy with the deal,
0801121307.jpg

emoney

Commander

There you go! Congrats and I knew if you held out you'd get what you wanted. That's a nice looking boat, now order yourself a service manual and get to know the thing like the back of your hand. A little bit of prevention is with tons of cure when it comes to boats and motors. And yes, a person can avoid the "break down" if he pays attention and does what needs to be done BEFORE it becomes a problem. Lots of really smart guys over in the Chrysler/Force Forum, so come pay a visit. I know, because I have a Force and they've helped me a bunch.

No get out there and catch some fish!!! Oh...and take a boater's safety course too. We could ALL use a little extra learning.