Restoring my grandfather's boat

SonofJoker

Recruit
This boat belonged to my grandfather and I'm looking to restore it. From what I have gathered from my father it's a Sea King, V-bottom, 14ft fiberglass boat bought from Montgomery Wards around 1968. I've been trying to find pictures of it on google with no luck as I'd like to cut out new Sea King logos for the side of the boat as the original ones feel off. But my main concern is fixing the transom and replacing the old plywood. I've searched a few threads already on redoing the transom and I've got a bit of cold feet in terms of starting this project. So I thought I'd post here and see what you guys thought.
DSCF6233.jpgDSCF6234.jpgDSCF6235.jpgDSCF6237.jpg

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring my grandfather's boat

was there a transom on there when you got it? Looks like there was one at one time.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Have you drilled the transom to check it for rot yet? It doesn't really look that bad.

Drill a few holes on the inside of the transom (start toward the bottom) and check the shavings for color and moisture. If they're light colored and dry your wood is good, dark and moist shavings indicate rot.

If your transom is good fill the test holes with 3M 5200 and then sand off the old paint and loose wood splinters and repaint with a good marine grade paint or varnish.

If the wood is bad remove it from the inside while leaving the outside fiberglass intact and install new wood.

SonofJoker

Recruit

I hadn't thought about drilling holes to check the wood first. I just knew it looked bad, but I'll give the drill a shot and check. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just don't drill all the way through the fiberglass.

Like I said you plywood looks weathered, but may not be rotten.

Keep your boat covered or garaged when not in use and it will last a very long time, exposure to the outdoor elements is what makes boats rot and ruin.