1987 Evinrude 90HP VRO disable

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 1987 90HP Evinrude VRO motor, and I've done the disconnection of the oil injection, as described in a link on iBoats.

I capped the oil input to the VRO pump, removed the two wires from the tank to the engine, and removed the oil tank, hose, and wires. Now, my question is in regards to what the capped oil input to the VRO pump will do. As I understand the system, the fuel is routed through the VRO pump, which senses the flow and adds appropriate oil amounts, when in service. Since the fuel is routed that way, I can't just run the fuel line direct, bypassing the VRO pump, and to do so I would have to install a stand-alone fuel pump? How would that get connected? Would I then just cap off the vacuum port that previously provided the VRO pump with it's pumping pulses, and route that to the stand-alone fuel pump?

Can someone help me out on this?

Can I just run the motor, as I have it setup now, with 50:1 pre-mix in the tank?

thanks

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1987 Evinrude 90HP VRO disable

you are good to go as is. The VRO is just acting as a convention fuel pump once you capped off the oil inlet. No need for an additional pump.

Start mixing your fuel!

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK; that's kinda what I thought, but wanted to confirm. I thought somewhere I saw here that it was recommended to just get a fuel pump off a non-VRO (like and 88spl), and take the VRO pump completely out, and run as a non-VRO motor, straight in.

thanks

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can do that as well. If you want to save a few bucks, just use the fuel side of the VRO pump

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like your pump is still functioning properly. Is there a reason to disconnect it? If your current pump is still functioning properly, follow schematic's suggestion. Most folks switch to the cheaper mechanical pump when the VRO pump actually goes bad and then they see the replacement price on a new factory VRO pump.