pollywog or shellback??? civillian or miitary?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: pollywog or shellback??? civillian or miitary?

Shellback and bluenose (arctic circle), nuc subs in the 60's

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I probably crossed the equator 30 or 40 times (by air) in the 50s. No ceremonies, but can I still be a shellback? I was in a transport squadron (VR21), in the crew that flew CINCPAC all over the world.

I don't recall crossing the Arctic Circle but spent New Years Day 1957 in Anchorage, AK. Temp was -30f, windchill -60f. Went to McMurdo Sound in Antarctica. Was summer there at the time. Was that across the Antarctic Circle?

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

I probably crossed the equator 30 or 40 times (by air) in the 50s. No ceremonies, but can I still be a shellback? I was in a transport squadron (VR21), in the crew that flew CINCPAC all over the world.

I don't recall crossing the Arctic Circle but spent New Years Day 1957 in Anchorage, AK. Temp was -30f, windchill -60f. Went to McMurdo Sound in Antarctica. Was summer there at the time. Was that across the Antarctic Circle?
well i would say you earned shell back but generally it refers to crossing the equator on water. how about we dub you honorary shellback and were coming to initiate you properly....i just need to find enough shellbacks to carry this out. wait patiently we'll be there shortly

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Trusty Shellback and Bluenose as well.
USS Merrill, '87-'92