Acceleration Problems 1992 Century Alpha One 3.0L

thejoker82

Recruit
Hey everyone this is my first time on the forum and I am looking for answers to help my Dad fix his boat. so hear we go......

My dad is having a problem with his 1992 Century Inboard boat. It has a 4 cylinder engine driving a Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0L lower unit. We were out on the lake and when we would be cruising, everything was working fine with no problems. Once he would put the throttle down to take off, the boat would start to accelerate and then it would free rev the engine like it went into neutral. We would have to quickly back out of the throttle to avoid over revving the engine. We were told that it might be a bad propeller that had a hair line crack in it, but we replaceds the propeller and are still having the problems. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to where to start looking? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Acceleration Problems 1992 Century Alpha One 3.0L

Hey everyone this is my first time on the forum and I am looking for answers to help my Dad fix his boat. so hear we go......

My dad is having a problem with his 1992 Century Inboard boat. It has a 4 cylinder engine driving a Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0L lower unit. We were out on the lake and when we would be cruising, everything was working fine with no problems. Once he would put the throttle down to take off, the boat would start to accelerate and then it would free rev the engine like it went into neutral. We would have to quickly back out of the throttle to avoid over revving the engine. We were told that it might be a bad propeller that had a hair line crack in it, but we replaceds the propeller and are still having the problems. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to where to start looking? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... My guess is the Coupler is Blown,...

It's the thing bolted to the motor's flywheel, that connects to the outdrive...

reach 'round aft of the motor, where the shaft comes out, 'n you'll probably find grounded up rubber bits...

thejoker82

Recruit
Re: Acceleration Problems 1992 Century Alpha One 3.0L

Thanks for the help, I will let my Dad know. So we can take a look at it and see if thats the problem. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.