My first boat...with a twist...

Hey everyone, I just recently bought my first boat and im a little thrown by the information after I bought it. It's a nice boat but finding parts is impossible. I'll start off by saying its a 1988 lesson. Built by a company called l and s manufacturing out of eldon mo. They went out of business in 1990. These boats were only produced for 4-5 years. I've got an original 85 horsepower merc. I'm really curious if anyone knows more about this company, aftermarket parts, or maybe someone else has one of these things. Thanks!

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My first boat...with a twist...

Well I will start by welcoming you to I boats
I have never heard of this boat but I am sure there are plenty of aftermarket parts that's universal fit. With that said I will note that I bought a vehicle once and the year after I bought it the company closed down. (daewoo) but I never had a problem finding parts aftermarket. Or even oem actually. So don't give up and just learn the Internet is your friend

fishrdan

Admiral

its a 1988 lesson. Built by a company called l and s manufacturing. I've got an original 85 horsepower merc. I'm really curious if anyone knows more about this company, aftermarket parts, or maybe someone else has one of these things. Thanks!

The only thing that's really going to be specific to that boat and manufacturer is the hull, everything else (electrical, steering, engine, fittings, etc) bolted to it will be from the aftermarket or a company other than L&S. Look around at Iboat's store and you'll most likely find everything you need to fix your boat.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Looks like this 1988 Lesson has become a 2012 'lesson' ;). I did find L & S manufacturing in my copy of the MIC database. 5 years of operation out of Eldon, MO, just like you said.

Parts are generic . . . boat companies do not make much more than the hull, they buy everything else (everything). So, you should be able to shop for parts on the Internet and locally, based on what you need.

If you have some specific things that you need and cannot find them, just post some info here and I'm sure you will get some leads,etc.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since it is unique how bout some pictures :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

To fix or repair any 24 yr. old boat you should completely disassemble it and replace anything that isn't seaworthy. You can the customize it to best suit your needs.

You'll then have a 1988 Lessonlearned boat, it'll be one of a kind.

I'll get some pictures hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I did start disassembly and replacing anything and have replaced a few things. I'm currently redoing the carpet and dash, then the bunks on the trailer, along with miscellaneous things that bug me. The only part I was looking into getting that was hull related, was a windshield. I'm sure once I get some pictures up, someone will toss in some ideas. I appreciate all the information I've gotten so far. It's nice to be on a forum where people are actually respectful!

Got some pictures of the boat, but I'm using iboats mobile so I can't find a way to post them. I also neglected to tell a little bit more of information. Its a 16ft bass boat that I'm guessing had a single plastic windshield. There's no passenger side console. The windshield looks like it would have had a 60 degree angle and possibly be 15" tall. I can't find anything through taylormade and nothing through upd. I guess this one might need to be custom made unless there's one interchangeable with a similar hull