Refridgerator chatter

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all

I have a dual voltage fridge from a 85 cruisers, it works on 12vdc but when operating on 120vac the chatter protector chatters, I suspect this is protecting the fridge from somthing (right?). It doesn't say anywhere the manufacture but I got a model DE-4000 and part# 1601 046 10 off the power supply cover, (coleman?) Threads I've read are leading me to suspect the transformer but can't justify a guess. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this ? I'm good with a VOM so go ahead and be specific if you can, that would be awsome.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Re: Refridgerator chatter

ok i was bored (waiting for gel coat to dry) and i have no idea what you was on about a anti-chatter chattering.....urrr. so i went to look around. the part number looks like a norcold number the 1601 046 10. but the de-4000 is a model number for a maytag dryer so after a little digging im wondering if the model could be a DE-400C which would be a norcold refrigertor dual voltage from around the same age as the boat. if it is then heres the link to the manual full of tests and diagrams http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncolddedc.pdf

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Glenn, thats exactly what I need, I will give it a whirl today. Sorry for the maytag #s I guess it was the dusk.

no problem at all. just let us know what you find and how you fixed it etc in case someone else has the same probelm in the future :)

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

First I tested the chatter protector which is fine, then I removed the relay and found the the normally open contacts are obviously burnt (did not see this behind the wires at first glance, again sorry) . I found the part for $96 at a motorhome website but this shook me up a little. so I tested the transformer and it also tested good. I am now convinced the relay is not allowing the transfer from 12vdc to 110vac to happen. I researched the web and found the relay for $13 at www.onlinecomponents.com this did not meet there $20 minimum order so I got 2 LEDs for $4 ea. maybe they will look cool below the stepdown? I will update when part arrives. (keep cool)

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

Well I just returned from new jersey visiting mom and dad so that was great, not so much for my fridge project. I installed the relay (which was identical as the burnt out original) and the fridge ran great on 12vdc - Then I plugged it into 110vac also and it worked for about 4 minutes then started chattering again, I noticed sparks across the points that had burnt on the old relay so I shut it down immediatly. Retested the transformer and it is still testing good (about .4ohms higher than spec), retested the chatter protector and found it to be bad when testing the capacitor circuit. I know I saw it test good before!! I have ordered the chatter protector (type B) from searspartsdirect.com at $37 I guess its still pretty cheap. I have also seen other sites calling the part No Longer Available.

Last edited:

i did read somewhere that the chatter protector and relay could be replaced and rewired to a ac style relay but there was a lack of real details on how to do it. i guess alot of people were not as lucky to find a seller that still has them in stock. glad you found the part and lets hope this fix's the problem.

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

I have read the same, This chatter protector is made of unabtainium and there seems to be no good description of bypassing it with replacment circuitry. looking for a used one was futile during my schedule so I have stepped back my replacment attempt to now attempting to cut open the thing as I know there is a bad capacitor internally. it feels soft so here I go.:facepalm:

from my limited understanding the chatter protector is a diode bridge with a cap to stabilise the voltage for the dc relay. if its broke you can not make it any worse so.

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

Had a long day moving an old camper but got the chatter protector opened up in no time, easy to do as a new triangle knife blade cut it like butter. I found the capacitor had definatly failed as the negative end was carboned up as was the silicone that I had removed arround it. also on the same end wire had seperated from the capacitor. It is a 1uf450v axial capacitor and was easy to find online. there is also a diode which looks prehistoric without any insignia on it except a red circle, it tested good so it will stay for another round. Then there is the surge absorber 10k241u which did not cross referance to anything directly and cannot be tested without a pulse generator ( I will get a new one hopefully). "Thats it" the big mysterious chatter protector has been exposed. I have a phone # for allied electronics and will call them for assistance on the surge absorber and hopefully place an order. I dont usually diagnose things down to the circuit level anymore but looking at norcolds wire digram it just seems too tempting, the parts are cheap but my perservereance is getting expensive so far $28 and too much time. I hope it saves someone else this in the future. stay tuned.

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

Yey. It works, The capacitor and the relay was what had failed. the capacitor (1uf450v) is internal to the chatter box which had to be cut into for replacment, I also replaced the surge absorber for good measure with (ZNR10k241v) also internal to the chatter box. The clear plastic relay (HL2-TM-DC110V) was obviously burnt and easy to replace, Mine had also fried a couple of spade connectors again easy to replace. I then cut a cigarette pack in half and taped it together making the basic shape ofthe chatter protector, put the board inside and filled it with silicone. after it cured I removed the paper and mounted it back into the powersupply, it still made good cold beers yesterday so back in the boat it went today. Total cost was about $45 in parts and shipping which could have been less in hinesight but I'm ok with that. Well good luck with your fridge project and I wish you the best of luck. THANKS A TON !! to Glenn property of Pam for the very helpfull schematic and service procedures. This may have not been possible without your support and assistance.