troubles with motor

boatingalot

Recruit
my 1982 140 hp evinrude shuttoff while full throttle and now has skip and does not idle very well please help tks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: troubles with motor

Start with some basic checks, compression and spark.

seapro204

Cadet

I have been trouble shooting my '82 175 Evinrude as the other day As soon as I reached full throttle it shut down. It took a moment or two but I noticed the primer bulb was flat. Knowing that means there is an obstruction up stream, I finally found an acorn shell in the primer bulb caught in the spring. It was not before long head scratching sessions as to where the clog was. Good news is the problem is solved, bad news is I have to vacuum out the gas tank. Anyhow, Are you sure your getting fuel to your motor?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Is the engine running on all 4 cyls? You can test for spark with an inductive timing light while the engine is running. If you find no spark on one head or the other, you can swap the two (identical) power packs for testing purposes. There are two other critical ignition components, the stator and timer base. You can find some good ignition troubleshooting information at: cdielectronics.com.