1968- 6HP - Evinrude Magneto Plate moves

Rick.

Captain
Hello All. Just started tuning up a new to me Engine. Got it in the barrel and while I'm pulling the rope the magneto sort of has a mind of it's own and jumps left and right even when I'm holding the throttle. Never seen this behavior before and wonder if there is an obvious fix. I did get it running but won't idle much below 1650 RPM without stopping. It was already very late when I quit but I'm just wondering if others have an idea where I should start? I did have the plate off ( for cleaning and new coils and points) but I'm quite sure I put it back on properly. Thanks for any and all help. Rick.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1968- 6HP - Evinrude Magneto Plate moves

Almost sounds like you have the coils mounted out past the mounting bosses and the flywheel is rubbing on the coils.

Rick.

Captain

Almost sounds like you have the coils mounted out past the mounting bosses and the flywheel is rubbing on the coils.
Well that would be a rookie mistake wouldn't it. I will check them cause that sounds like what it could be. The tiller throttle is stiff and has play but the way the mag plate dances around you'd think it isn't linked to the throttle or anything at all. Thanks, Rick.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the stator moves like its loose, flopping around, the mount may be worn or broken.If the stator moves as if acted on by the flywheel then the coils may be rubbing.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.