Winning the Lottery !!!!!

BugF

Cadet
I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than this motor running for me !!!IMG_1471.jpgOk I bow to the Mercury Gods, they have won. I give up. Let me update - 1976 Mercury 150 - New - Plugs,Dist. Cap,Switchbox,Starter Coil,Stator,internal & External wiring harness. Ran great hitting the lake but every time somethang would die and paddle back, fix something run great hitting the lake then die, Now been told have irratic fire and will not stay running. Anybody know of any good bicycle forums thinking of taking up bike riding :confused:. well I'm at a loss .

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Winning the Lottery !!!!!

if you are losing spark, it could be switch box or distributor trigger. Learn how to check the switchbox from CDI website (I believe you ground a terminal on the switchbox) and do the check when it fails on the lake. If the switchbox checks good and you have no spark......look to the distributor sensor.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting guide/

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Changing parts is the most used, most expensive and least effective method of troubleshooting known to man, BugF.

Worst of all it often introduces faults that were not there before.

Forget that so many parts are new and troubleshoot logically. Start with Schematic's advice.

Good luck. :)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Now been told have irratic fire and will not stay running.
Vary rare to see erratic fire on a distributor style ignition system, and if it is erratic it usually the trigger or carbon tip in cap...

BugF

Cadet

Thanks guys, had to take a step back yesturday, past copple of posts told me trigger, gonna take a day off from it and take a step by step aproach to it . I'll post a pic of the tip and inner Dist. later along with others see if anybody sees anything out of order. Thanks